Burn more calories than you eat? I'm so confused.

Are you suppose to burn more calories than you eat in a day? and how do you know you've burnt them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:22 PM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Diet & Fitness

• 1 pound of fat is equal to 3500 calories. So that is how many calories you must burn to lose a pound. However, your body needs energy so you still have to eat. I think that I read that no one should ever eat less than 1500 calories a day (except small children). You don't really know what you are burning, so you need to make sure that you DO exercise and that every calorie that you put into your body counts as only food that your body needs. Also you should eat 5-6 small meals instead of 3 big ones. If you eat more often then your body doesn't feel hungry and you won't over eat.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 10:18 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Woman should eat no less than 1200 calories and I think it's 1700 for men. Your body burns calories even when you don't exercise. Just keeping your organs working burns them. For a woman that is 5'5" and weighs about 150lbs, and she doesn't exercise, her body burns about 1700 calories. If she eats only 1200 that means that her body burned 500 calories more than she ate. Like the pp said 3500 cal. = 1lb.. So having a 500 cal a day diff. would mean she could lose a lb a week. A really good website is caloriecount.about.com. It has all sorts of tools for exercise and weight loss.
    MommyTo2Boyz

Answer by MommyTo2Boyz at 11:03 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• No you don't need to burn more calories than you eat. You just need to eat 1500-1700 quality calories a day and use a combo of weight training THEN cardio after the weights and you'll burn a little more but try not to focus so much on the caloric #. Just come up with a good workout plan at least 5 days a week to start and then you can maintain with 3-4 once you hit your goal. I saw the most results myself when I was burning roughly about 5-600 calories a day not counting all the calories I burned and didnt know it by using stairs instead of the elevator and things like that. The key is consistency and no compromising.
    HayleyGM

Answer by HayleyGM at 8:18 PM on Jan. 4, 2009