Sippy cups- Am I getting ahead of myself?

My 5 month old just started drinking from a sippy cup. He's doing great and I think he likes them better than bottles. I was thinking about starting to phase out bottles. Is it too early? What's the best way to do this?

sbastille

Asked by sbastille at 1:29 PM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Sounds like you're doing it! I think it's probably fine and better than worrying he's too old to be using a bottle. I'd rather mine started a sippy cup early rather than late.
    Anonymous

• As long as the baby is using them than it is okay to do so. We just started using them with water so that she gets used to them. I want bottles gone by 9 months. We will see what happens.
    coala

Answer by coala at 1:47 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• hey thats great if he is doing fine with the cup then just keep giving it to him. i wanted bottles gone early too she still has to have one at bed time but other then that she has her cup.
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 1:50 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• just make sure he's drinking enough. Sometimes they don't drink as much liquid from sippy cups than they do with bottles.
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 1:55 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• my oldest child was 4 mths with a sippy cup & by the time to gett rid of the bottle he throw it away himself. keep up the good work
    youngmomma05

Answer by youngmomma05 at 2:06 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• If he's using a sippy cup, there is no reason for him to still get a bottle at all!! We switched ours at 6 months. Once they could drink from one, no more bottle!!

We gave the "bottle before bed" in a sippy cup, too.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:20 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I think you already ARE phasing out bottles! If your little one is successfully using a sippy cup, then there's really no reason to keep using a bottle! :)
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 2:33 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I think it is okay to use a sippy cup as long as they can sit up by themself, and hold it themself. If he can hold it by himself then by all means go ahead, but I think it would be better to wait until they can sitr up independently and hold it themselves before introducing it. Remember though, it is your child, and you will do what you feel is best for your child. Go with your maternal instincts. If they tell you it is a good idea, then go for it! Also, if you are really worried about it, maybe talk to your pediatrician at your baby's next check-up! Best of luck, and I hope it works out for you!
    wintertyme

Answer by wintertyme at 3:55 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Well i think you can start a sippy cup as soon as your child can sit up, i think the professionals would say around seven months but my dd used one at 6 months when she could sit alone. Also, you shouldnt give up the bottle yet, because your child needs the nutrients from the formula, which should only be given from a bottle, unless of course you are breastfeeding and you dont use a bottle. Go with whatever you feel is right but dont stop the formula/breatmilk until your baby is 1 year old.
    Mommy_of_two_85

Answer by Mommy_of_two_85 at 10:13 PM on Dec. 29, 2008