At 30 weeks and no more ultrasounds.

I'm seeing a certified nurse midwife and won't be having any more ultrasounds (I had an OB in the beginning and have already had two). How will they know how big the baby is? I know women who had estimates that their babies were 9 or 10 lbs. Will I know without getting another ultrasound?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:36 PM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I only had 1 ultrasound with each of my children that were born in the hospital. The one that was at home, no ultrasound.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 1:39 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Ultrasounds aren't 100% accurate on the weight...they are wrong 1 lb. My old doc could guess by my measurements and his experience.
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 1:41 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Ultrasounds aren't very accurate on weight anyways. Your midwife can probably tell better just by feeling your belly. And it doesn't really matter that much anyway, unless you have gestational diabetes, or a medical problem with your bone structure. Without either of those problems, your chances of growing a baby too big for you to deliver is next to nil. Finding out that you're having a 10 pound baby is likely to freak you out for no good reason seeing as if your body grew it, your body can very very likely handle it.
    tyrelsmom

Answer by tyrelsmom at 1:55 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I only had one ultrasound with each of my babies and they were 2 weeks wrong on due date amd no gender noted.
    prissmom

Answer by prissmom at 1:56 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• That's sort of the sacrifice you made by choosing to go with a midwife. So you'll just get to be surprised!
    Anonymous

• the weight they will meassure with the ultrasound is never right anyway. at least i dont know a pregnant woman that was told the right weight of the baby. They said my baby would have 2lbs more than she actually had. ;) and that makes a huge difference at those tiny munchkins ;)
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 2:07 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• atually thats not the sacrifice she made by having a mid-wife, a lot of doctors only do a certain amount of ultrasounds.

KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 2:37 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Weight and size aren't that big of a factor with labor anyway... the numbers that they give you is most likely off by up to 2 pounds. Babies bones are soft and their skull bones overlap so that they can fit into the birth canal. It is easier to give birth to a 10 pound baby if you aren't stressing about how big it is the entire time. My mom had a baby that was 6 pounds as well as 11 pounds and she said you can't tell the difference when you are in labor.
    When I was pregnant with my first, everyone was telling me he was going to be 9 lbs, since I had gained so much weight and my husband is a big guy. My midwife told me that she never guesses weights because it isn't a big factor and she never wants a mom to fear the birth size. He ended up being 8 lbs and I think I had an easier labor than my sister did with her 6 lb babies. :)
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 2:37 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• You may get another, unplanned ultrasound. Just because it isn't on your insurance plan doesn't mean you won't need one. The doctor/midwife can order one at any time if they have any concerns at all. I had about 7 ultrasounds with my last child. It was a few things that they wanted to check on. It was NOT a high risk pregnancy, either. Don't worry too much about ultrasounds. Trust the people you are working with.
    Scimecamommy

Answer by Scimecamommy at 7:04 PM on Dec. 29, 2008