How old was your child when they quit napping?

Was it something you choose? Did they chose? Did you still do a quiet time? My son lays in his room and plays at night :) It's cool but I don't know if I am ready to give up naps yet... We both benefit from them. How did yours transition into no-nap times?

CooksWife

Asked by CooksWife at 1:49 PM on Dec. 29, 2008 in General Parenting

• 16 months. there was no transition. it just stopped. we kept putting her in her bed. since then she just has quiet time. shes almost 4 now.
    jcsmummy

Answer by jcsmummy at 2:09 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• River had just turned three when he stopped napping. Abi is 2 and still naps and of course the baby still naps twice a day.

EVERYONE lays down for 1-2 hours in the afternoons here for quiet time. River can play his nintendo ds, leapster, sometimes watch a movie... as long as he is away from me and quiet! LOL. I need time to regroup in the afternoon.
    LoveMyBlessings

Answer by LoveMyBlessings at 2:18 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Jeremy is four and he will nap most of the time. It is a struggle most days but if he doesn't nap then he will be in a really bad mood. On the days that he doen't nap, I make him have some quiet time.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 2:47 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Both my sons were 2 1/2. They didn't want no part of a nap. I would put them to bed at 8 pm and they would sleep 11 or 12 hours.
    elainecat

Answer by elainecat at 2:55 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Both boys quit napping around age 4. Occassionally they'll take a nap now (ages almost 7 and 5) but only if I make them, and thats usually when they are super cranky.
    MommaLucy

Answer by MommaLucy at 3:06 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• 29 Months and still going. Once she starts refusing, I will make sure she has a quiet lay-down time each day.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:57 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• 4
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 4:32 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I had one that quit napping at 3yrs old, the youngest quit napping at 18mos.
    moniquesand

Answer by moniquesand at 4:46 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Cody quit taking naps around 18 months. Drove me NUTS!! I just got to the point that I would make him go play in his room for an hour to an hour and a half, depending on how grouchy he was. I'd put a gate up across his door and since I was pregnant with Erin, sometimes I'd lay down on the couch and sort of doze. Since I could see into his room from the couch, it was easy to just peek at him every once in a while from the couch.
    He continued that through when he started afternoon preschool at 4.
    Erin quit taking naps at about 3. About the time Cody started afternoon preschool. So she started "Down Time" as we called it. Same time frame, depending on her mood.
    Now, at 5 and 7, the only times they take naps are if they're sick. If they nap, I start to worry.
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 4:52 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• my son was 2, and my 19 month old is almost done(or im done fighting)
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 5:25 PM on Dec. 29, 2008