How do I get rid of diarrhea blisters?

DD, 14 months, has the stomach flu. It is mostly diarrhea, and now she has developed blisters all over her buttox and vaginal area. I've been using a baking soda paste, and my girl friend says to switch to just dumping corn starch on it. I already use cloth diapers, and cannot use A&D or Desitin. What have you used on your LOs when they had these?

epoh

Asked by epoh at 2:17 PM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Health

• thanks everyone! I used cornstarch in her diaper and that cleared up the blisters most of the way within 12 hours. I was worried, because I read that this is a no-no if it is caused by yeast (cornstarch is a form of sugar, and yeast feeds on sugar. Could have made it worse) but thank heavens it wasnt yeast. Bum is still red, so I did start using some disposables and some A&D at around 3:30 this morning. I hate using aformentioned items, but whatever makes my baby girl better, kwim? Thanks again!
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 8:53 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Dr. Smith Diaper Ointment
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 2:24 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• My son got bad diarrhea once when he was on antibiotics for a throat infection. It was awful, I know what you mean about the blistery diaper rash! Poor baby :( I got a prescription for Nystatin and it cleared right up.
    CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 3:58 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I use Boudreaux's Butt Paste. It smells terrible, but works. I use Neosporin also. My son get bad rashes from diarrhea. Also, ditch the wipes, the alcohol in them hurt. I use strong paper towels (such as Scott, or Bounty), dampened with a bit of baby wash.
    FroggyJenni

Answer by FroggyJenni at 4:04 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Flander's Buttocks Ointment (works wonders). Also, don't use the wipes ( I see Froggy told you this too! :D) Also, if you can, put her in the tub with baking soda in the water and it will sooth the irritation. My DS (16 months) had this a few weeks ago, it really blistered his bottom! Even his testicles had blisters! The above worked for us. Oh, and when you change her, before you apply the ointment let the skin dry (advice from nurse). I hope your LO is feeling better soon!

Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 10:46 PM on Dec. 29, 2008