How long have you owned your vehicle(s)?

As of today, I have owned my Scion Xb for two years. Sadly, this is the longest I have owned a vehicle. I have owned several cars before this one and I either didn't like it, so I traded it in, or I totaled it, or it was a lemon and I drove it as long as I could. I have to say though that even after two years, I still love my car. You know that new car feeling that you get when you first buy a car, well, I still get that way. Silly, I know. My husband has had his car for a year and a half and even though he likes his car he wants to trade it in. Anyways, the whole point of this post was because I drove past our Ford dealership on the way home and saw so many cars, trucks, vans, etc in the lot. My theory is that many Americans buy or trade in a car every year or two while other countries will keep their cars for years. Do we really need a new vehicle every year or two?

JeremysMom

Asked by JeremysMom at 2:29 PM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Just for Fun

• I've had my van for 3 years and hope to have it for at least another 5. I love my van. I hope to have it until it just falls apart. I'm anal about the maintenance, so hopefully it'll make the 5 years. We bought my husband's truck about 6 months ago. The truck he'd had before that we'd had for about 4 years. He sold it before he went to Iraq to his BIL, and I got him this one just before he got back. He's hoping it'll last another 4 years (it's been driven harder than my van by the previous owners).
    debra_benge

Answer by debra_benge at 5:04 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I owned my 2 grand am's this past summer and had a loan out on our ford f-250, but got sick of the cars so I sold 1 and traded the other in for a new trailblazer. For me, I just like to drive nice vehicles, but no, I really dont NEED them..LOL
    asholan_07

Answer by asholan_07 at 2:34 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Lol. My husband and I were watching a repo show the other day and one of the ladies made the most smart remark I have ever heard. Any time someone says "I like that car!" she says "Its not my type. I cant afford it so its not my type" lol!! I would love to have a new car every year, but I would be living out of my means and WASTING A LOT of money on something that depreciates wayyy to fast. I dont own my car yet, but I am paying it off fast making principal payments every month. I will keep it until it dies. I would rather own a house, so I am saving up for a large down payment on one instead of investing in another car.
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 2:51 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I've had mine 4 years now.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 2:55 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I bought my Honda Civic brand new, and have had it since 2006.
    MaiasMommy619

Answer by MaiasMommy619 at 2:58 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• We've had the minivan for a year, and my husband has had his truck for about 8 years I think - just a little longer than we've been together. He'll have his truck for quite a while longer, too. We will be paying on the minivan forever and I refuse to have 2 car payments at once EVER AGAIN.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 3:07 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I have had my car 8 years, purchased it new. I do not believe in floating a car payment constantly to have a new car. With regular maintenance and upkeep a car can last for years. My spouse's car is also older. Both our cars are pay for completely and it is nice to have this money for other expenses.

However, we will be purchasing a new vehicle within the next year.

Tetona

Answer by Tetona at 3:49 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I've had my 01 Tahoe for about 7 months. But like the Original Poster, I'm in love with my truck. If it's the only thing I drive for the next 10 years, I'm OK with that. It's the nicest thing I've ever driven, and now that my DD got a DVD player in it, every trip is quiet and peaceful. Even her little brother is too distracted to pull her hair. ( a constant source of screaming)
    mmmommy0207

Answer by mmmommy0207 at 4:49 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• We've had our mini-van for six years and bought our 12 passenger van just a few months ago. We tend to keep our cars until they get totaled or are really bad mechanically.
    Syra3.14159

Answer by Syra3.14159 at 6:44 PM on Dec. 29, 2008