What is your definition of a housewife

I had this discussion over the holidays about what a housewife was. I was talking with dh's family and his nana was a house wife and I think I am more updated of a housewife but she thinks I should bring him his food and things that aren't my kinda thing. Dh is her first and fave nephew.

Whats your definition of a housewife.

Asked by sierra_617 at 2:50 PM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Relationships

• A woman who does not work outside the home who is responsible for most of the childcare,cooking and cleaning...
    I think the old fashioned belief that a housewife should do everything is ridiculous .

Answer by Meshell7 at 2:52 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I'd say a housewife is someone who stays at home, and does not work at an outside job. IMO, a housewife or stay at home mother, should be primarily responsible for the cleaning, cooking, laundry, shopping, etc. However, I don't think anyone should be required to fix their husband's plate and wait on him hand and foot.

Answer by MommaLucy at 2:52 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Some one who takes care of the house.
    Does the shopping, cleaning and does all the "scheduling" and makes sure everyone gets where they need to go (doctor, baseball practice ect.)

Answer by Mikayla_lynn at 2:52 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• So...what do you call a woman who works outside the home and also does ALL of the housewife duties?!?

Answer by mommy2karsyn at 2:53 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I classify myself as a housewife. These are my duties:
    Cleaning and keeping my house clean and neat. Husbands and children deserve a clean happy enviornment. Making sure the laundry is done and everyone has clean clothes that are put away. I iron hubby's clothes. Make three hot meals a day. Run all errands. Fill out/pay and mail bills. As a stay at home with no job other than being a housewife, my husband is my employer. I do the things he asks me too and dont back talk or give him crap. I chose this. I think alot of women use being a "housewife" as an excuse not to work. Howevver, it is work and your husband is your employer, as he "pays" you. JMO no bashing please.

Answer by navy-wife at 2:54 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• well this is what i do. cleaning, laundry, pay the bills,drive the kids around,cook,take the garbage out, and i do take my husbands plate to him not becuz he expects it but becuz i always saw my mother do it with my father and it was just something i picked up it doesn't bother me most of the time i enjoy it unless he is being an ass then he can get his own i also lay his work clothes out for him and make his lunches.

Answer by jodi205 at 2:55 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I will never call myself a housewife. I'm married to my husband not my house. Having said that, I am an old fashioned wife when it comes to taking care of my home and family. I'm home, he works all day, why shouldn't I bring him his food and other simple things just to show him I love him?

Answer by Chrissy629 at 2:57 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Mommy2karsyn: I went through the same thing before me and my DH split up....I worked 40hrs a week outside of the home, then had to come home and do all the cooking, almost all the cleaning, all the laundry, etc.

I don't know what you would call that, other than "underappreciated"

Answer by MommaLucy at 2:57 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I should answer my own question

A housewife is a women who takes care of the needs of home. Cook clean schedule.take care of the children and such but taking dinner to dh...just isn't me. I figure you have feet use them. The stove and the table are three steps away.

Answer by sierra_617 at 3:03 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Hmm. I don't know either. I am a stay at home MOM. I am not a "house frau" -- I don't clean exclusively.. my husband and I share household responsibilities. I guess I think of house wife as Donna Reed... I am more like Roseanne. lol.

Answer by Serafyna at 4:16 PM on Dec. 29, 2008