SAHM vs Working Mom

I am a working mom. I work 8-5, M-F. I come home and cook dinner, do laundry, clean the house, take my dd to ballet, schedule and go to all dr appointments and everything else...

So why do SAHM's think that they have so much to do? I do everything a SAHM does, plus I work full time. I don't get why they think they do more than everyone else. I understand that caring for your children take a lot out of you, but really??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:58 PM on Dec. 29, 2008 in General Parenting

• Don't even start this ignorant debate, it will only ruffle feathers and you KNEW that when you posted it. Please delete this. Don't be hateful.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 2:59 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Is it REALLY necessary to start problems on here? Grow up!
    Anonymous

• Omg seriously. wooo you work as well and think youre better than SAHMs... what would you like? a present for your work?

dont start with this dumb debate.
    KelsoBabeyy

Answer by KelsoBabeyy at 3:00 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Right...because that's all SAHM's do is walk around telling everybody who will listen how much harder they have it than working moms. Come on now, that's a pretty blanket statement, don't you think? Most SAHM's I know are super grateful that they are able to stay home and never complain because they feel like they don't have that right, even though they do if they've had a rough day just like anybody else. (On the other hand I haven't met many working moms who complain either, but there are exceptions to every rule)

You want to know who has it the hardest and deserves the most kudos? Hands down it's SINGLE working moms (or dads if they have custody). No matter how much work you do in or out of the house it will never amount to what those ladies go through on a daily basis.
    Anonymous

• I am a SAHM for the time being and when I was working I cooked and cleaned but I could rarely, if ever, attend any of my child's school functions. I also rarely had the opportunity to do homework with him and worked weekends so a social life with my child was almost null and void. It's not that it is harder to do one thing or another it's that many moms who can afford to choose to be SAHM b/c they want to be able to spend more time with their children. Also, who are you to judge another woman's choices? I never would've been a SAHM by choice b/c that's not my cup of tea but I would never down a woman who chooses this option.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 3:05 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• This is stupid to debate but I can't keep my mouth closed on this one.

Sure, you do all the same things that SAHM's do, but you don't spend NEARLY as much time doing those things. We spend every waking minute of our day with our kids...you don't. There's just as much work to be done...

You aren't working more hours per day than any other mom...there's only 24 hours for each of us. We're all on the same level and all equal. .

Why are you complaining? Do you feel guilty for working?
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 3:11 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I don't feel guilty for working at all...I just see the same thing over and over about how much better you are if you are a SAHM. I am getting tired of seeing it and was just wondering why they are so much better.
    Anonymous

• How dare you make such a hasty generalization about stay-at-home moms! That is an unfair statement.

What's the matter? Bored? Just felt the strong urge to start a fight? Want a pity party? Want an award?

How immature of you to make this post.

Anonymous

• i have been both a stay-at-home-mom and a working mom, and at one point, i was the sole bread-winner for my family while my husband stayed home with the kids, and for either group to say one is better than the other is nothing more than uneducated, ingornant BS
    last time i check we were ALL moms, trying to do what we think is best for our family
    and like anon3:04 said, the ones who have it the hardest are the single working parents, so kindly remove your head from up your butt and stop trying to say you're better than other moms!
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 3:22 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• You know, for most of this year I worked full time AND was home by 1:30pm to spend the rest of the day at home with my kids. BY FAR, the latter part of my day was the toughest part. If you've never walked even part time in a SAHM's shoes, you have no clue. I have some mad respect for my friends who stay home. Working full time and being mom is definitely hard, no doubt about it, but it's totally unfair to assume SAHMs don't WORK.
    Silvertears1275

Answer by Silvertears1275 at 3:33 PM on Dec. 29, 2008