When will it be acceptable?

I am curious and want to know just when it will be acceptable to joke about, MAKE jokes about and criticize our PE Obama? The uber-protective Obama supporters seem very sensative to any jokes or criticism of their pick, so when will it be okay for people to crack jokes? Do we have to wait after the first 90 days? I would have thought after his first press conference after being elected would have been fine, but it's looking like it's going to take the uber-supporters a little longer to let other's have an opinion. Oh, I posted this because of some of the responses on the other thread about the RNC guy.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:10 PM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Any other president it would always be acceptable but because our new president's black if someone cracks a joke they will be called a racist, so freaking stupid.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 9:37 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• i crack jokes now and i did before the election. the people you talk about aren't ever going to be accepting of jokes and alot of others won't either because of the fact his is black. people will be sensitive about that (not a racist statement) just saying its more sensitive. i wouldn't crack jokes around that it would be disrespecting to though.. just people you know can have a good laugh. =)
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 3:21 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Maybe when he does something to deserve it? He hasn't even been sworn in yet and cranky old people still call him "The Messiah" or "The One"..

Give him a chance to f--------- things up in the country..

PS I didn't vote for Obama.
    Anonymous

• It will never be considered acceptable. They will always call any critics racists and whether it is about race or not it will be blamed on racism and that will never change as long as Obama is the first black president.
    Anonymous

• There continues to be a culture war between liberals and conservatives, traditionalists and progressives. I don't think it is ever going to be ok to make jokes in private conversations but I hope Jay Leno makes some. I hope Mr. Obama makes one great president. I tend to want to make jokes about the people who are so dang uptight about the jokes about Obama! No jokes for me though. I am just a private citizen. I only joke in the privacy of my own home with someone who feels the same way I do about things political.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 3:33 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Ummm, that would be never.
    Anonymous

• Funny....I heard jokes cracked about every Pres and PE before Obama and I am sure there will be more after him. It is harmless and something to crack a smile. Too many people take too much way too seriously. Let loose and be cool. I received days and days worth of funny texts about Obama before the election was over! They were fun and they came from everyone! Drop the politics and have a laugh.
    toweringbeauty

Answer by toweringbeauty at 3:47 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• cranky old people still call him "The Messiah" or "The One"..

please post examples. right wing sources saying that people do this don't count.

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 4:52 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• that will never change as long as Obama is the first black president.

how does someone being the first anything ever change?

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 4:53 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I saw a skit on Obama the other night it was funny, I think it was about how he talks, someone was impersonating him, it wasn't offensive. And who cares if he can't laugh or we can't laugh at him it wouldn't be right. Every president will always have the impersonators and joksters to deal with its funny. Not disrespectful.
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 5:51 PM on Dec. 29, 2008