Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

im being sued!!!

im being sued by a credit card company. i just received a writ of garnishment legal papers from a lawyer. do i need to do anything with these papers? i dont work. im a SAHM. i dont remember the last time i even used or paid the bill on this credit card. it has been YEARS. and now i owe almost 10, 000 to them. what can they do if there is no job to garnish? should i stop using my bank account? they sent a notice too to my old bank, they must not know my current bank. i am not married. i have no assets. what can they do? what should i do?

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 3:14 PM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Money & Work

Answers (16)
  • Contact your own lawyer about this.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:15 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

  • is this your debt or is it identity theft?

    Answer by Adja70 at 3:17 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

  • that was your mistake not paying any money at all towards things. things like this irritate me. credit cards aren't free money.. someone has to pay this. i know you know this though so i recommend talking to your lawyer about this. yes, i would quit using your bank account. i would buy a fireproof safe for your money. good luck

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:19 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

  • i can not afford a lawyer. when i can afford anything, i want to file bankruptcy. this was my own debt. from when i was younger and now that i have children and more responsibilities i can not pay anything to them. its too late anyways. i just wanted to know what they can do and what i should do to protect what little i do have now. my SO and i use a bank account in my name, although it is all of his money in it to pay bills. i guess i will have to start using cash and money orders to pay bills? i also have a savings account for my son. can they take that money?

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:23 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

  • why don't you just get the bank account in his name if it is his money?!

    Answer by krazyash023 at 3:28 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

  • he has really bad credit too after going through a divorce. we are pretty much screwed i think. im just hoping that some day we can pull ourselves out of this...

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:31 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

  • First thing you might want to find out is whether the 10,000 is what you acturally owe or if this includes interest or legal fees. A consultation with an atty would probably only be around 25.00 for about a half hour. Your SO may have some problems considering the account is in your name. An atty may also be able work a deal with the creditor to lower the amount that you acturally owe. You can only run for so long before they catch up with you. If you plan to get your life together you and maybe buy a house one day you should try and work something out versus trying to hide.

    Answer by Anonymous at 3:34 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

  • You can dispute the claim if you think that they have you mixed up with someone else, but I would call a lawyer for a consultation and get some advice. You need to get all the information that you can about the credit card company and all your past accounts with these people. If I were you I would try to get as much info about the situation first and try to dispute the claim and then I would look into getting an attorney.

    Answer by determind at 3:39 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

  • Also, if you don't work they can take other things away, your house, garnish your bank accounts, your car, anything of value, they will find your new account. I'm not sure if it is legal for you to close out an account because you don't want them to take your money, I would ask a lawyer about that. I have filed bank rup and had collections so I know what you are going through and what you should do to a point. However do not let them harrass you, call you late and the first time these people threaten you, then they are breaking the law and you can dispute the entire claim on that alone. Take note of everything, who you talk to, what time, how long, what the discussion was about, you could also record all discussion incase you need it for the future, $10,000 is alot of money and you should do everything you can to fight it before you just turn it over.

    Answer by determind at 3:46 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

  • Depends on the state your in. They need to take you to court first to garnish your salary. MANY times they will settle with you for a fraction of the cost. One of my credit cards settled with me for 25% of the amount. If this happened for you, it would mean only paying $2500.

    While credit card companies can take assets, they usually prefer to settle. They usually cannot attach your assets unless they have taken you to court first and many companies will trick you into signing a waiver to relinquish your rights so they can easily attach your assets.The credit card company's lawyer is looking out for their best interest not yours.  It is much easier for them to setttle with you and cheaper. I have been in your position and settled with two of my credit cards. Good luck.


    Answer by Anonymous at 4:10 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.