Craving salad!!!

Has anyone else every simply craved green leafy salad constantly during pregnancy? I am starving for it every day. I can't remember the last time I actually ate any meat, and I know I am supposed to but I am so turned off by chicken, red meat and fish right now. I take my vitamins every day, but I feel like I should be doing something more. Perhaps this is just a craving phase (like when I ate ice cream constantly during my first pregnancy), but all I want is salad and pistachios (what on earth? this is not exactly well-rounded eating!). I generally like to wash it down with a glass of milk or lemonade. I also eat some fruit, but is this baby a vegetarian? I am not at all, but even cooking meat for my older child is difficult to be around.

I would love to hear about your cravings and especially if you have had a "salad" craving. I am curious as to why I would crave salad of all things. It has nothing in it really, so I find it bizarre but it is the most delicious thing on the planet to me right now!

nony2072

Asked by nony2072 at 6:45 AM on Aug. 31, 2011 in Pregnancy

• That's all I crave! salads and fruit! lol! Can't eat any meat and only a little bit of chicken! lol! I'll eat something heavy such as pasta or a burguer twice a month but that's about it. Salads I must have them!!!! lol!
    JuicyAimee

Answer by JuicyAimee at 4:54 PM on Aug. 31, 2011

• Sorry, I did not crave healthy stuff during any of my pregnancies. I wish tho! lol :p If you want a GREAT salad, try Wendy's Berry Almond Chicken salad. You can pick out the pieces of chicken if you don't want them. But it's delicious! GL :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 6:51 AM on Aug. 31, 2011

• That's good! Try to eat enough protein. You can put kidney beans or chick peas or cheese in it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 7:16 AM on Aug. 31, 2011

• I am not prego but I actually crave salad everyday. I love to put sliced almonds on top with mushrooms cucumbers and tomatoes. Simple but oh so good. Then I use organic dressing like Greek or Balsamic Vinegar and Olive Oil. I also use fresh spincach instead of romaine lettuce alot of the time. It is oh so good.
    bellablossoms

Answer by bellablossoms at 7:16 AM on Aug. 31, 2011

• Well, if you're going to crave something, salad is a good one. I would just hold off on the feta since it's a soft cheese. When I read your post it reminded me of some of the cravings I had last summer...milk, haddock, and lemonade. I would drink almost a gallon of milk a week!
    Jansan24

Answer by Jansan24 at 8:04 AM on Aug. 31, 2011

• actaully at the start of this pregnancy=and randomly through out it- i have wanted a salad but with pork,egg,onion, tomatoes,green peppers,cheese,pickles,ranch,with a side of buttery toast
    bamamommy2009

Answer by bamamommy2009 at 9:23 AM on Aug. 31, 2011

• With my 4th I craved salads with the Japanese ginger dressing (like at Kanki - Japanese steakhouse). With my 5th it was caesar salads, every day at least once/day!

Answer by missanc at 9:46 AM on Aug. 31, 2011

• Actually, I specifically crave "feuille de chene" or "chestnut leaved" salad which I think is from France. I almost always use a balsamic vinaigrette (I'll occasionally opt for Ranch or Ceasar) and sprinkle with parmesan cheese and sometimes croutons. Sometimes I'll change out the parmesan for feta, but I feel kind of silly only wanting this all the time. I would eat this for breakfast if I could, it tastes that good for some reason. I wonder if I am missing something specific in my diet. I guess this is not the worst craving in the world, but it doesn't seem very nutritious since there are few calories for the baby to use (or me for that matter). I don't know what it is, my mouth is watering just thinking about it. How can one pregnancy be only ice cream and sweets and this one be salad (and nuts: pistachios, cashews, almonds, etc. - so good!)? Pregnancy is a bizarre trip!
    nony2072

Comment by nony2072 (original poster) at 7:29 AM on Aug. 31, 2011