My dog just bit my DD!!!!

Okay, my daughter, 12 months, loves my dog. They sleep together, the play together all day. He is a certified therapy dog (I have seizures and he smells them out and gets things for me) He was laying in the floor with her and she didn't even touch him (even though she hangs on him all day everyday usually) and the phone rang. All of a sudden, he jumped up barked and as he barked, his teeth nipped her head. I don't know if it was an accident (I think, hope, and pray so) or he bit her on purpose. I don't know what to do, he head has one puncture wound not deep at all, barely broke the skin, and it is bruised all around the spot about the size of a half dollar. (CONT...)

navy-wife

Asked by navy-wife at 3:26 PM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Pets

• (CONT...)I am unable to get a hold of my husband. When my daughter was crying the only thing that would comfort her was to lay on the dog, which I let her and monitored things. They were fine. They were loving on each other now everything is fine. I did yell at him. We have had him since he was a puppy (he is 5). What should I do? PLEASE DON'T TELL ME TO GIVE AWAY/PUT MY DOG DOWN. HE IS MY THERAPY DOG AND PART OF THE FAMILY The more I think about it it seemed like an accident. I'm so unsure of what to do.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 3:27 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• sounds like it was an accident. i would just monitor your daughter with the dog.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 3:30 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• When I was in ninth grade, my dog bit my face, right above my eyebrow. It bled a LOT, I probably should have had stitches except my sister and I were afraid to wake my Dad to take me to the emergency room (afraid he would kill the dog). I was sitting in front of her on the floor, she was on the couch, and I turned around and startled her. She didn't do it on purpose, and you could tell she was remorseful.

As long as your baby is ok, I'd try to relax, but keep them apart when you're not able to give direct (and close!) supervision. Your little one is too small to defend herself, should something be wrong. I'd call your vet to make sure everything is ok with the dog as well. I'm so sorry this happened, I know I would freak out, too!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 3:30 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I don't know what to tell you- you have to use your judgement... if you really think it was an accident, it was an accident. But if you're not sure: Remember your responsibility to your daughter (who I am sure is even more beloved than your dog), and remember that your dog is a very powerful animal. You would just die if something awful happened to your little one b/c you ignored this.
    That said, I am very sympathetic. I know how dogs can be a part of the family.
    sfwilson

Answer by sfwilson at 3:31 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Clean the area well and watch over the next few days for infection. It is a shame that this happened. For sure don't let them be alone together until she is older.

Answer by Bmat at 3:36 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• It sounds like an accident. Should you get rid of the dog? Probably not. But I'd be extra cautious for awhile. Keep in mind that this accident seems to have been caused by a simple phone ringing. Over the next year, her toys will get noisier and she will start to get more physical. Don't leave them alone together.

As they say, ANY dog can bite and most dog bites are done by a loving family dog who has never bitten before. Keep a watchful eye out.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 3:42 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I'm sure it was an accident,he probably just turn,and his teeth caught her on the head,if she wanted to lay back on him,then she does'nt seem scared of him.
    Val504

Answer by Val504 at 4:56 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I agree, it sounds like an accident. I don't think your dog was trying to bite anything. It sounds as though he jumped up and accidently got her. Did you see it happen and are you sure it was from his teeth? It may have even been from his nails, maybe he jumped up from the floor and accidently got her with his paw.
    I wouldn't worry about it, just moniter them together.
    bookay

Answer by bookay at 6:32 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Sounds like an accident
    k.alexander

Answer by k.alexander at 4:30 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• if he's smells your seizures, could your DD have had one and he was trying to let you know? i think biting was an accident, but i also think he was trying to tell you something about your DD
    bi-polarmommy

Answer by bi-polarmommy at 10:01 PM on Dec. 30, 2008