baby bald spots

My 4 month old has a bald spot on the back of her head. Is it a problem and can I prevent it?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:28 PM on Dec. 29, 2008 in General Parenting

• My DS had it too. It's just from laying on it so much. It is now starting to grow back in.
    fairyinabubble

Answer by fairyinabubble at 3:30 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• No it's not a problem, I don't think you can prevent in either. It's normal. Babies lay on their backs so much at this age and with all the squirming they do awake or asleep it's natural that their hair, especially as fine as it is, gets worn down. It'll grow back.
    lovemyshugabutt

Answer by lovemyshugabutt at 3:31 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• It happens because the baby is laying on the back all the time. Not saying you never pick up your baby, but that's what happens when you don't let them sleep on their sides/tummies. My first daughter had it when I followed "the book"... my 2nd baby kept her hair because she always slept on her side.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 4:19 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• no problem but is a sign baby is laying down to much do more tummy time.. not a good look but that is the only harm
    danahake

Answer by danahake at 6:53 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Its not a problem. My daughter had one and when her hair grew out it looked like it had been layered. Everyone asked me how I got her to sit still for her cut to get cut.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 7:31 PM on Dec. 29, 2008