baby showers

So its been 7 years since my last baby was born and man have things changed since then. I always thought baby showers were for first time babies but im starting to see that more and more people have second and third baby showers.
So a friend of mine asked if she could through me a baby shower but it seems rude to have one? Now granted i got rid of my sons stuff becuz i was 17 when i had him and didnt plan on having more for a long time and obviously i didnt lol.
So is it rude to let her through me a shower or is it pretty common now?

Mommy2B04

Asked by Mommy2B04 at 3:33 PM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Pregnancy

• I have read alot on this. And no I dont think it is. They say when your children are that far apart that there is nothing wrong with having another baby shower. So have it and enjoy it!!!
    HayHayMarie2009

Answer by HayHayMarie2009 at 3:36 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Its been long enough I think you should let her do it. Plus, she's your friend and it will make her happy to do it.

If I remember the "etiquette" correctly, its one baby shower unless its been several years or its a different gender. Then having another is ok.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 3:39 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• There is NOTHING wrong with having a baby shower this time around. It has been 7 years. Even if you had kept anything from your first baby, it would be outdated and unsafe to use with the new baby.
    boizmom

Answer by boizmom at 3:40 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I don't think so...are you with the father? Is this his first baby? Then I would TOTALLY go for it! I imagine you have some different friends (and possibly different family) now, so I don't think it would be too inappropriate. I'm not a fan of showers for second (or subsequent) babies, but it sounds like you meet the ok requirements. :) Have fun!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 3:41 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I don't think it is rude at all. I just had my second girl three months ago and my MIL had a baby shower for me. She did scale it down a bit and we only invited family members and a few very close friends. I felt the same way you did until I was pregnant with my second. I want her to look back at her scrapbook and know that she is just as special to us as her older sister. I feel that a baby shower is to celebrate the arrival of the new baby. Why not celebrate the second or third? Given you have not had a baby in seven years you are going to need a lot of things. I think your close family and friends will want to help and would not find it rude at all. I say GO FOR IT!
    maddiemygirl

Answer by maddiemygirl at 3:43 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Common! Dont feel bad...ESPECIALLY since its been a long while. If you had had them back to back it would be different. Youre not asking too much!
    LovinEveryDay

Answer by LovinEveryDay at 3:54 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• It's been so long since your first baby I think it's acceptable to have another.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 3:59 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I think it's fine, but I do understand how you feel. I had my twins when my daughter was 11, and I felt really funny about having a shower. My cousin insisted on throwing a shower for me, but I didn't feel comfortable having a big traditional shower. I ended up having a low-key family barbeque get together so my husband and male relatives would feel comfortable. It was very nice and I'm glad we did it that way.
    TweenAndTwinMom

Answer by TweenAndTwinMom at 4:00 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• New baby, new shower. Its fine. Congrats!
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 6:25 PM on Dec. 29, 2008