Is it baby blues?

I just had my baby on christmas dec 25, and I couldn't be happier!
Although Its my first baby i love spending time with him and i'm adjusting pretty well but there's one thing that bothers me... I don't know what it is but out of nowhere i just start crying and feeling miserable for no reason. I cry evrytime my hubby goes to work or after my mom calls i don't know why, what is it? and how can i fix it?

Albi1623

Asked by Albi1623 at 3:45 PM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• go to the doc, post partum depression can escalate fast, don't take chances. It may just be wacko hormones, but better safe then sorry.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 3:46 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• You need a break. I felt like I couldnt leave the room Gauge was in, even if someone else was watching him. Ask your Mom to come over in the morning and you go lay down for a few hours. Or maybe even go to the movies alone. Just get some quite time.
    MommaWoods

Answer by MommaWoods at 3:48 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I did this, too, especially when my baby was only four days old! Your hormones are extremely unbalanced right now, so give it a little time, it's VERY common to have this right now. I was SO broken-hearted when my husband had to go back to work, I cried whenever I even though about it (even when he was still going to be home for a few days!), and my Mom couldn't come over for a few days after he was born (she got sick!), which made me feel even worse. If you start to feel worse as time goes by, or have any dangerous thoughts, call someone right away. Otherwise, just know that this time will pass. Before I left the hospital, my nurses warned my husband (while I was there, too) that I was going to start feeling really emotional soon, but that it would most likely go away pretty quick. Good luck, Mama!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 3:55 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• And congrats on your new baby!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 3:56 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Congrats on the wonderful Christmas gift!

Keep an eye on your emotions. True baby blues goes away in a few weeks. PPD can start anytime in the first year. There is no need to feel miserable or guilty - you can't control what the chemicals in your brain do. If you don't like how you feel or seem to be getting worse, go talk to your doctor.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:01 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Your hormones are definitely WAY out of wack right now, but I would still go to the doctor and tell him or her what is going on. Post-partum depression is not a joke! People talk about "baby blues" but those are not something to be joked about either. "Baby blues" can easily escalate into post-partum depression. Don't take any chances, for your babies sake!

Now, go cuddle your baby, give him a hug and kiss.

Oh, and one more thing, congratulations and welcome to motherhood!
    wintertyme

Answer by wintertyme at 4:04 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• this happened to me too, its very overwhelming!! Take it easy, spend a few minutes by yourself even if its getting a long shower. If it gets worse or does not go away after two weeks or so i would talk to a doctor.
    Mgirly84

Answer by Mgirly84 at 4:15 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Sounds like the blues... and it should get better... if it doesn't then talk to your OB about it.
    Try not to feel worse because you are not happy... all kinds of things are going on for you right now, and the way you feel is NORMAL. You hormones are all crazy, your lack sleep, your life has been turned upside-down by this beautiful baby, in addition it's the holidays that can stress anyone out.
    Take some time to yourself to get some rest and destress.... you might feel a ton better.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 4:51 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I had my first baby the beginning of November and felt the same way for the first 3 weeks. I feel alot better now, it just takes some time your body has been through alot. If it doesnt get better in a few weeks notify your physician, but try to be positive and know that it is very normal! Good luck!
    newmommyrn

Answer by newmommyrn at 8:45 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Hi moms,

I just wanted to introduce myself. I am the owner of the group Postpartum Mood Disorder and Baby Blues. I started the group because I went through Postpartum Depression after having my baby 6 months ago and I know a lot of moms are going through the same thing but may be afraid to talk about it or just don't know where to go. At my group I have some helpful information on PPMD and it is also a place where you can post, vent, and support other moms. Please join my group today! http://www.cafemom.com/group/110634. If for some reason the link doesn't work just click on my profile and look for my groups.

I look forward to meeting all of you!

-Yaya
    kittymom83

Answer by kittymom83 at 12:25 PM on Jun. 26, 2010