How Do I Break My 21 Month Old Of Her Pacifier? Please Help.

jaydah_Starr09

Asked by jaydah_Starr09 at 10:54 AM on Aug. 31, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Throw them away cold turkey that's what I had to do with my 2 year old 3days of crying /whining hasn't missed it since!
    Alcnic29

Answer by Alcnic29 at 11:01 AM on Aug. 31, 2011

• cut off the tip

OR

be ready for a few days of screaming. Have her throw it away because she is a big girl.
    vntNyll

Answer by vntNyll at 11:01 AM on Aug. 31, 2011

• With my DD, I phased them out.
    She used to have it ALL the time. I took them away while she was awake. They became for sleeping only. After about 1 weeks, I removed them from bedtime. They were only for taking naps. After about a week of that, I removed them completely. She didn't even cry. Once I found her crying in her sleep and I put my finger in her mouth and she sucked and stop crying in her sleep. That happened once about 1 month after the pacifiers were completely removed.

The trick is to stick to your decision once you have made it. Does she have any lovies? They usually help in the transition.
    Dalimonster

Answer by Dalimonster at 11:06 AM on Aug. 31, 2011

• i took it from my kids cold turkey and after a few days they didn't even notice.but a friend of mine introduced the paci fairy she told her son that if he put all his pacifiers in a bucket beside his bed that the paci fairy would take the paci and leave a toy in return.she said that night he put them in the bucket and hasn't ask for them since.
    kb24

Answer by kb24 at 11:12 AM on Aug. 31, 2011

• Just take and throw them all away. & stay calm while they get use to life without it.
    Reia631

Answer by Reia631 at 11:13 AM on Aug. 31, 2011

• We took my two year old to Build a Bear. He got to pick out the bear and everything and put the paci inside it. He didn't much mind it this way because if he ever "needed" it, he would only have to hug his bear and it would be right there. (I did toss the other paci's once we got home, but I didn't show him) He still loves that bear!
    Glowing4Caleb

Answer by Glowing4Caleb at 1:21 PM on Aug. 31, 2011

• Take it away slowly. At this point it is her comfort item. Why is it so awful for kids to have comfort items? It is not. Just put limits on when she can have it, like anything else, and she will wean off of them with out 3 days of crying and whining.
    bebcarroll

Answer by bebcarroll at 1:25 PM on Aug. 31, 2011

• Atleast u past the bottle stage...Im still working on it and my DDD is already 2....Best of Luck!
    MamaCool1

Answer by MamaCool1 at 2:13 PM on Aug. 31, 2011

• just take it from her and let her CIO. - cry it out. She will get over it. Just collect them all and toss them outside in the trash can.
    surfgrl60

Answer by surfgrl60 at 4:17 PM on Aug. 31, 2011

• I don't think it's very kind to just take them and throw them away and let the child cry. My DD still has her paci and she will be 3 in October. We are starting to phase it out already and limit it to bed time or in the car. She did have one that got a hole in the tip and she didn't like that, she said it was "broken" so we had to throw it away. But eventually I will either do the Paci Fairy thing or just cut the tips slowly until they are all "broken" and have to go. I am the one who let her have the paci in the first place, eagerly reached for it during her colicy moments as an infant or to help soothe bumps and boo boos after she was done nursing, and it seems unkind of me to just take it away without a second though now that I want her to be done with it.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 5:16 PM on Aug. 31, 2011