Anyone familiar with the epipen?

My 5 year old just recieved one..he had a sever local reaction on last sunday..now Dr is scared he could have anaphleptic shock next time..my concern is the time frame between shock and death!! I need some reasurance that I will have time to administer the pen..

BUSYMAMA5

Asked by BUSYMAMA5 at 3:08 AM on Jul. 15, 2008 in Health

• Unfortunately, each reaction is different. I CAN tell you that you should practice w/ a tester pen on yourself so you know how much force is involved. I'd also make sure that even though you administer the pen, you call 911 and then make sure you give them the used up pen so they know what's already been done. Also make sure that you give one to the school and keep one for you. Make sure not only the nurse knows but let his teacher know and others that come in contact on a regular basis.
    swrockhead

Answer by swrockhead at 9:34 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

• To get an accurate answer you should ask the doc. I;ve never heard of anyone going to shock in the time it took to get the pen.  Every time he has a reaction it can get more severe. If this time it was local and not respiratory that's good. I don't know if anyone can really gauge how severe his next reaction might be. But I know that you should keep one with you and make sure the school has one.
    MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 8:50 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

• Thanks..makes me feel a little better.I am just scared.but I will be sure to question the heck out of the DR!
    BUSYMAMA5

Answer by BUSYMAMA5 at 12:48 PM on Jul. 15, 2008