seven weeks old

my seven week old likes only me, he even fusses when my husband tries to handle him. its to the point that i am the only one who can feed him.... any suggestions cause i am going back to work two days a week soon??

Mgirly84

Asked by Mgirly84 at 4:12 PM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Poor baby. I hate to see when a mother isn't home with her new born.
    Anonymous

• Anon 4:14...yeah, that's what she really needed to hear.

It's normal for him to cling to one parent or the other. And that preference can change day to day or week to week, too! lol

I don't have any experience going back to work, so I can't really help with that part...but it is normal for a baby to favor one parent.

I would maybe suggest trying to get him used to being around his caregiver who is going to watch him while you work, though, if that is possible....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 4:19 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• My son was like this at first. Now after daddy gets home he wants nothing to do with me. LOL. And some days he decides who is going to be his buddy that day. I think all little ones go through phases like this.
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 4:20 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Are you the only one that can feed him because he is breastfed or he is bottlefed and still likes you?
    Is daddy anxious when he holds him? Have daddy relax and just keep at it. He needs to find something to soothe him. Try not to take the baby back even if he is screaming his head off. If daddy is doing a fine job then he just needs to get used to other people doing things for him.
    It might help to leave the room for awhile so the baby doesn't know you are around...
    You don't have much time to work on it, but I would work on Daddy and Baby time for everyday... even while you are home.
    My husband did bath time and bed time every night... it helps them bond.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 4:48 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• ok anonymous, i think he will be ok with his father.  Thats what fathers are for!  Not all of us can afford to stay home forever....

Mgirly84

Answer by Mgirly84 at 4:48 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Ignore people like anonymous, if you can't even use your name to post such a thing clearly you're too cowardly to backup what you say.

Make sure your husband is confident when he holds him. My husband had a problem with this until I convinced him that he wasn't going to do anything wrong and that baby would be perfectly fine with him. It's amazing what a little confidence can do!

I also would wear my husbands shirt when it came out of the wash, then have him wear it. Supposedly the strongest sense for a baby is smell, so having something that smells like you nearby can be very comforting. Also try sitting RIGHT next to your husband while he holds the baby. Let baby know you're nearby, but he can still get used to someone else's touch. Good luck!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 5:02 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Totally normal. Try sitting next to your husband while he holds the baby, or even holding your hand on your baby while he has him. Good luck.
    LovinMyMikayla

Answer by LovinMyMikayla at 6:50 PM on Dec. 29, 2008