10 month old not sitting

My girlfriend has a 10 month old baby who is not sitting up even in a tripod posistion she is not crawling and doesnt apply any pressure on legs to try and stand. She appears almost as a 4month old as far as development. I know all babies develop at different rates, but i would think there are certain things she should be doing. My friend seems to think nothing is wrong and i pray she is right. She is finally taking her to the dr. friday. I did not want to say anything to her at first, but i finally did out of concern for the child. I think she is upset with me. I guess my question is does this sound normal?

pamelove7

Asked by pamelove7 at 3:34 PM on Aug. 31, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• that's way off in development
    by 10 months they're suppose to be cruising

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 3:35 PM on Aug. 31, 2011

• I would be less concerned with the crawling than the lack of weight-bearing on her legs. Still her doctor may not be concerned before a year. They are supposed to have "some" mode of mobility by one year. If your friend wanted to, she could check into Early Childhood Intervention and have her evaluated. If they were concerned and if your friend wanted services, they are often covered by Medicaid or very inexpensive even if you were on the sliding scale. We had to pay $20 per month (4-5 visits, so $4-5 a week) because of our income. Hers could be FREE. They would get a referral from the doctor if it were required. Hope she gets some answers at her next visit. :)
    doodlebopfan

Answer by doodlebopfan at 3:48 PM on Aug. 31, 2011

• No. Sounds like he could have some gross (large) motor delay. At least hopefully that is all it is. My son had it and didn't sit until 9 months or walk until 16 months. It's totally treatable. Physical therapy did wonders for us. The key is getting help. Now my son is 4 years old and right on track.
    sharpendoodle

Answer by sharpendoodle at 3:51 PM on Aug. 31, 2011

• tech by 10 months they dont have to be cruising between 9-18 months is when they start cruising/walking, now on that i also had issues with my dd not bearing weight on her legs at 9 months so contacted PT and its helped leaps and bounds , it wouldn't hurt to contact a Physical therapist just to see what they might suggest
    Alcnic29

Answer by Alcnic29 at 4:06 PM on Aug. 31, 2011

• that does not sound normal :/ hopefully everything is ok and she is just a very late bloomer
    Bertha21

Answer by Bertha21 at 6:36 PM on Aug. 31, 2011

• My oldest didn't crawl until about 10.5 months. All babies develop at different rates. I even had well meaning friends telling me something was wrong because she didn't walk until almost 16 months (my second didn't walk until almost 18). Everyone wanted to help me figure out the problem with my DD, but there wasn't a problem. And even if there was, I certainly didn't need my mother, MIL, friends, random church members, and strangers trying to make me worry about it.
    fancyjane

Answer by fancyjane at 8:20 PM on Aug. 31, 2011