My 15 month old likes to hit and I am not sure how to get him to stop.

When he hits, I say "No" and he will either run over and give you a hug or he will throw a tantrum and get so upset. I want him to not continue in the habit of hitting, but want to be effective. Any suggestions?

newmommy09

Asked by newmommy09 at 4:21 PM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• get down to eye level and say"you cannot hit my friends" and remove him from the area. Time out is hard at that age but it will drive him crazy to see others playing and he cannot. I'm not saying seperate him for a long time, just 2 minutes in his bed or crib or at someone's house have him sit on a chair next to u. Then before he plays have him say sorry to who he hit before letting him play. The hugging u and the tantrums are his way of controlling u-they are sneaky boogers lol.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 4:27 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• He usually doesn't hit other kids, just myself and hubby.... Do you think that the "timeout" would still work? This is my first child so I am not exactly sure what is the best way to handle it. Thanks!
    newmommy09

Answer by newmommy09 at 4:35 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Sounds like you are handling it well. Sometimes kids hit because they think it's a game. They start hitting mom when she's distracted by the phone, or the tv, or a friend, etc. and when they finally get a reaction, they get the feedback they wanted. My grandpa used to play a game with my son when he was two, he'd sneak up and hit him and have my son chase him around and hit him back. It drove me crazy, but as long as he knew it was a game with grandpa, I let it go. When he tried it with me, I told him that was grandpa's game and he's not allowed to hit mommy. So we'd tickle instead. You could try steering his hitting into something else, when he starts to hit, tell him we don't hit, we tickle, or we chase or play peekaboo. Whatever works for you. I think at this age, you can divert him, but if he doesn't stop, you may want to try timeouts or whatever punishment works for you. Good luck!!
    usa29

Answer by usa29 at 5:52 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• "No" is so meaningless.
    I always said "Mommy doesn't like hitting. Soft, gentle touches for mommy" and rub my daughter's face with my hands and get her to do it back to me..
    It's a stage, though- remember that.. Just about testing boundaries, and being frustrated. Nearly all children go through it, and it is normal..
    When you don't tell a child what they can do INSTEAD of hit, they don't have a clue how to deal.. ALWAYS accompany "no" with an alternative.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 9:30 PM on Dec. 29, 2008