wearing a hat.. all day every day

Ok, first our daughter hated it to wear any kind of hats. and now she is obsessed with them.

when she gets up in the morning and looks at her coat rack and sees her hats she takes one and says: "On!!"... so she puts them on, when i take it away she will freak out. haha.

Same with her boots. The other day she was still in her pajamas but wanted to wear her boots and hat. she ran around in the house like that for almost 1 hour. she had fun, so i didnt take the boots, nor the hat off.

Anyone else kid(s) does things like that?

m.robertson811

Asked by m.robertson811 at 4:27 PM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yeah, it's pretty normal for kids to latch on to something like that. It's kinda the same as kids dragging around a special blanket or doll! Toddlers are learning so much so fast, sometimes they latch onto something that gives them some consistency and something they have control over. I'll never forget when my preschool aged daughter began wearing only skirts, no pants allowed! At first, I was concerned, but she was a part of my school psychology class and my instructor used it as an example of toddlers beginning to take a little control over their lives. They had been so used to being dressed, being fed, put to bed, etc and the parent pretty much controlled every aspect of that little ones life, and now they are beginning to learn they have some control. So at least she's chosen something that is just too cute! Good luck!
    usa29

Answer by usa29 at 5:33 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• haha. mine isnt old enough yet but I think that's so cute!
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 4:28 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Yeah my son, who's 2 got particularly attached to a certain pair of summer weight shoes and he will wear only those shoes all day everyday and as soon as he wakes up they have to go right back on. Even though it is too cold for him to wear them. He hates hats though I can't even get him to wear them when he needs to. Oh he also loves footy pajamas soooo much he will wear them all day if I let him.
    teddybear515

Answer by teddybear515 at 4:50 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• oh yeah.. the footy pajamas. its tough to get them off as well.. she loves them too :D its just so strange, but totally cute :)
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 5:19 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• usa29.. i have never seen it from this point. Now it makes sense to me. I knew my daughter is very smart. I guess im not smart enough to know that. hehe ;)

And you are right. They are learning so fast and so much every day. This answer kind of made me sad though, because that means my little girl is growing up and she is not my little baby anymore. But yes its too cute.

When she says "on" (to put the hat on) she says that in german ("auf"). and when she says that she is doing that with such an effort that she drools sometimes. I love it.

Thank you very much for your answer
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 8:32 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• One of my two year olds is very particular about his footwear. He only likes a certain kind of sneaker and nothing else. When we went boot shopping it was a disaster! He wouldn't even try them on. Fortunately I found a pair he's willing to wear and he doesn't fight me on wearing them.

He's particular about hats too. His fav: a Batman baseball cap. He especially likes to wear that one while playing with his train set! Wouldn't wear the hat all summer to keep the sun off his head but now he wears it all the time! Go figure!
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 8:36 PM on Dec. 29, 2008