Need some encouragemen!

I have been exclusively pumping for 6months now. I am finding it harder and harder to get myself to do so. We are already having to supplement formula because I am not producing enough milk for an entire day. I am thinking that I want to quit but am feeling guilty over doing so. I think that I am need of a little support so that I may continue or possibly give it up completely. Thanks for all your help ladies.

coala

Asked by coala at 5:01 PM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Hey, 6 months is great!! If you really want to stop, then do it. You've already given your baby 6 months of milk, feel proud of what you have done and not guilty for what you haven't.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 5:06 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I had a tough time nursing also. I know in part it was due to not getting enough water during the day. Maybe that is some of the issue with you as well so be sure to drink constantly. If you need to give up, don't take it too hard. I hated supplementing and I hated it when I gave in after 4 months but it was hard on me and my DD so I just ended up doing what was best for both of us. I could at least feel good about giving her the greatest nutrition possilbe for her first 4 months.
    VirgoMom807

Answer by VirgoMom807 at 5:09 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I've recently hit a bump in the road as well, but I'm so afraid of stopping that it's keeping my going! I know the day that my son has his first non-breastmilk bottle will be extremely hard for me...so I'm putting it off as long as I can!

That being said, be proud of your six months, no matter what anyone says! If you can keep it up you'll have that much more to be proud of! :D
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 5:12 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• 6 months is really great. And think, because you're pumping your baby has had 6 months worth of formula he/she would otherwise have not had. So if you need to go with formula, and don't feel bad about it. 6 months is a really long time to exclusively pump.
    julipickle

Answer by julipickle at 5:30 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• You've done what most women aren't willing to do. I could only breastfeed for a month b/c of medical reasons. I wish I could have still been breastfeeding. You are doing great. I applaud you. Don't feel guilty, if you can only give breastmilk once a day don't feel bad. Be proud.
    Zarviemom19

Answer by Zarviemom19 at 5:46 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• You have done an incredible job! Most women wouldn't make six weeks of exclusive pumping.

Here's your bottom line: Go talk with the woman in your mirror. Only you and she can decide what you should do. If you want to keep going, stop by the breastfeeding moms group and we'll help you out with supply boosting tips (there's a whole sticky of them ont he group's home page). If the two of you decide it's time to stop, then stop.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:26 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• You know if you are unsure... what about pumping until you don't have a supply left. Or just pump first thing in the AM and before bed.

But whatever you choose... 6 months is great! I breastfeed my son... but if I was only pumping I would have quit... I HATE pumping! So it's great you have been able to do it so long.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 6:37 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• you did good to do it for 6months ive only done it for 2months and just quit i felt bad to but i had to cause i was having problems my nipples were bleeding an blistered bad to the point when i pumped i had to throw it away...so it was doing me no good...but if you wanna quit then quit i promise its nothing to feel guilty about your baby got 6 months worth she got it the first 3 months and thats the most important...or at least thats what my doctor says.....
    Destinty

Answer by Destinty at 6:39 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• oh yea and ask your doctor about reglan that wat they put me on to increase the supply i was getting it worked awsomly....you wouldnt belive how good it worked i went fom only producing 5mls to almost 2ozs at a time with in 2 days...you take it 2xs a day and its worth it belive me
    Destinty

Answer by Destinty at 6:42 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• keep trying,they say when a baby sucks he always gets some from it,even if u pump and nothing comes out
    angelairelan

Answer by angelairelan at 7:55 AM on Dec. 30, 2008