Is anyone out there dealing with Post-Partum?

If so, how are you coping with it? My son is 6 months old and I've finally given in to the fact that I am DEPRESSED. His birth was traumatic and I think I repressed it until now. Any other mamas going through this constant feeling of despondency? THis is really kicking my a$$. I have an appt on Jan 8th...I'm not sure how I'll deal until then.

TheEmpress78

Asked by TheEmpress78 at 5:28 PM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• TALK IT OUT! Join groups on here, talk to your family/friends, anyone! Break down the issues so it doesn't feel so big. Try to work through one thing at a time and before you know it those ten days will have passed and you'll be talking to the pros. Good luck!

Oh, and you can PM me if you want, I'd love to help. :D
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 5:30 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Only your doctor can tell you if you really are suffering from PPD.

PPD is something really serious. And there are many symptoms for it. I was suffering from PPD really bad. Sometimes i only wanted to die because i couldnt take it anymore. No, i didnt try to kill myself. But i was close. As soon as i started to feel "different" i went to my OB and she sent me to a special psychologist for PPD. It took me more than 1 year to get better. I refused to take any kind of medication, because that shit will make you so high, that you wont be able to take care of your child anymore.

m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 5:33 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Until the 8th you need your family to support you with the baby and household. Try to be around people as often as possible. As soon as you are alone for too long you gonna feel upset ect again. Make sure you talk to your doctor about EVERYTHING. Do not hide anything. They first need to figure out what exactly you have. random depressions, baby blues or even PPD.

i wish you good luck
    m.robertson811

• I am. My daughter is almost 6 months old. I have found some help taking to my doctor. The medicine works but talking is better. Just make sure it's someone who wont overtake the conversation, it'll just upset you. I'm still trying though, hang in there it gets better. Good Luck.
    p.s. i am available if you wanna talk.
    Zarviemom19

Answer by Zarviemom19 at 5:37 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I see your engaged...have you told your fiance about this? Make sure he's aware of it, as it's not something to be taken lightly (or to be ashamed of, for that matter). The doctors and nurses at our hospital talked to my husband about this a lot before we left, he even had to sign something saying he was aware of the signs to watch for. It's not too likely that your fiance is unaware of what's going on, but make sure you're not hiding anything.
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 5:48 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Me too! My twin birth was traumatic as well. My son has CCAM A congenital lung defect and was in the NICU. I take my pre natals and try to get some sleep.If you ever need anyone to talk too drop me a line
    jmegee

Answer by jmegee at 5:54 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Oh yes, my husband knows. He was actually the one who sat me down and told me I totally didn't seem like myself. He told me to get whatever help I needed and that he would support me. I see a mom advised a doctor would have to diagnose me with PPD. I wonder what else it could be, because I was just fine until after my son was born. I've never had any thoughts of hurting my son or myself, but there are days that I feel so horrible that I can't take it anymore. I force myself to go to work and to take care of my family...but there are days that I just can't do a damn thing. I've been treated for Depression about 8 years ago and I've been great ever since, until now. I don't want to be medicated again. I was a walking zombie while I was on medication, and I just don't want to do it.
    TheEmpress78

Answer by TheEmpress78 at 5:55 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I'm trying to seek natural remedies, but I just wanted to bounce this off of other moms that have suffered or are suffering from this because sometimes I feel like NO ONE understands, even my hubby, try as he may. Dear God, sometimes the thoughts I have are ridiculous...like fear and nightmares of things happening to me or my child. It's abosolutely CRAZY.
    TheEmpress78

Answer by TheEmpress78 at 5:56 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I did! It was awful. I finally felt like I turned a corner and left this behind a little over a month ago - my daughter is 29 months now.
    KEEP THAT APPOINTMENT!
    If your doctor puts you on meds, take them. If you don't like the side-effects (if any) of the meds, talk to your doctor. There are lots of choices and a slight tweak in your dosage or a complete change in meds can work wonders. Join a support group if you can find one. Zarviemom19 is right - meds can help but talking can help more. Be aware that most women don't feel completely recovered for several years.

Until then, do not hesitate to put your son in his crib and leave him there if you need a break. Try to take a walk outside everyday - a little fresh air, a change of scenery, and a little bit of exercise can really help.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:03 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I want to sincerly, wholeheartedly thank all the wonderful women on here for taking the time to answer me. I am truly grateful for your responses, and although I am sorry that you all have gone through this, I am so glad you all understand. I don't feel like I'm crazy anymore. This is something real and that try as I may, I can't just "snap out of" it. You all have bolstered my faith there is a light at the end of the tunnel by offering your support to me. I'm truly grateful to you.

I wish you all love, light and peace...and send you all a big hug.

Thanks again, Ladies.

Blessed be:

Heather
    TheEmpress78

Answer by TheEmpress78 at 2:30 PM on Dec. 30, 2008