Teaching 4 year old to write

I am in the proccess of teaching my 4 year old how to write. She can do the whole alphabet, her first and last name, mommy and daddy's name ect... Sometimes not all the time she makes some letters backwards. my hubby says he is very concerned but i think it is normal in the begining?? WHat do you think??

KBSSJ5

Asked by KBSSJ5 at 5:31 PM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• it is ABSOLUTELY NORMAL -- its just part of the developmental process. Tell you hubby not to worry unless she is still doing it around 7 or 8
    Just the fact that she is writing all that alone proves that there is not really an issue, its just that he is expecting something that is past her actual visual-mental dev.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 5:33 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Thank you so much! Thats what i thought to, but wasnt sure!!
    KBSSJ5

Answer by KBSSJ5 at 5:34 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• omg lol tell hubby to hush-she is fine. he seriously needs to relax and praise dd for knowing what she does at 4. a few backwards letters means nothing. now if everything she did she did backwards it would be an issue-until that happens congrats on a lil smarty!
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 5:34 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• 100% normal. Until 3rd grade reversing letters is par for the course. If she is writing that much at 4 you have nothing to worry about.

Think about it... every other object she's ever learned has the same name no matter which direction it's facing or what angle you at it from.  Suddenly b and dare two completely different things because they face different directions even though they have the same shape.

MAUREEN55

Answer by MAUREEN55 at 5:37 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Normal to reverse letters.

Make sure to encourage the proper utensil hold, though. Don't let her grip it in her fist. She should be able to use a close approximation of the proper hold. Also, make sure when teaching her to write names or words to use a capital letter for the first letter, but to teach lower case for the rest. (my two oldest receive OT and these are things she told me when my (now) three year old started to write several months ago)
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:57 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I was a teacher of 4 and 5 yr olds for 13 years and the best accomplishment that I made is helping the children learn to write. Some did write backwards and yes it could be a sign of dyslexia but it is to early to tell, so I wouldn't worry about it. When she gets in school if the teachers are concerned with it then they will let you know.

determind

Answer by determind at 6:18 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I was like that when I was little. I did my "n"s backwards. It's ok! :)
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 6:20 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• That is SO normal, my goodness! My 4 1/2 year old can't even write all those things yet...and when he does write his name, the letters are always mixed up in order and backwards. I think she's doing just fine.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 6:45 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• My daughter is 5 and writes a few letters backwards.I did also as a child.They learn to do it correctly eventually.
    mamaslilpunkin

Answer by mamaslilpunkin at 6:52 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• my 3 1/2yo does that, reverses some of his letters. sometimes he adds an extra 'up' or 'down' strike on an 'm' or 'w'...he has been able to spell his name for several months, and is currently working on reading smaller words, like 3-lettered words. he knows all the shapes, and can tell you how many sides most have; he even tells you that an oval and a circle don't have any sides,''they just keep on going, round and round'' he says. lol he's progressing normally, i think.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 9:04 PM on Dec. 29, 2008