Dh's mother gave us each $100.00 for Christmas; DH took my money...

that it belongs to him. He is going to spend it on bills and food.

I really need a few things for myself and our daughter. I planned on using my money to get my hair cut and a new pair of shoes (I have no shoes) plus other things.

Dh told me to suck it up. My feelings are hurt more than I am angry about it.

Is it fair?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:33 PM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Relationships

• He sounds abusive......are you isolated? I don't know what to say. We each get $100 from my DH's grandfather and he'd never do this? It was your gift and he basically stole it. I am wondering if you are ok.

Teachermom01

Answer by Teachermom01 at 5:55 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• absolutly not!are you sahm? not that it has anything to do with it,..but i am and i can picture my hubby doing that to me,..and i would go and take it back,...yes bills and food are important but so is thefact that you wanted to get some things for yourself,..as us mommas rarely do.
    amysmomma505

Answer by amysmomma505 at 5:36 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• nope he's being a jerk. If I were u I would tell hubby that if he takes your money to be prepared to find some of his gifts back at the store so u can have the money. I understand times are tuff but it wasn't his to take. I seriously would take 100$ worth of his stuff and sell it.see how he likes it.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 5:36 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I am a SAHM and he brought that up too; he said that he needs the money to keep my big butt padded with food.
    Anonymous

• ARE YOU SERIOUS?!!! is his reason valid? is it really going to bills and food?
    that is your money and he has no right to take it. i say take it back and use it for yourself..you deserve it thats why it's called a present!
    Adja70

Answer by Adja70 at 5:38 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Idk in a way its fair... but you need shoes... my b/f mom is giving both him and her other sons money and hes already told me hes splitting is with me but she told the boys they could do what they wanted... but he also knows I'm likely to pay bills with the most of my half. Or maybe all of it... speically because I know he works hard and most his money goes towards bills... so I like to help out when I can to give him a break and hopefully a chance to get himself something.
    dtetz

Answer by dtetz at 5:40 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• men like that who act sef righteous becausewe stay home doesn't mean they can try to make What we do, rip out our self esteem and try to over simplify our jobs as mothers!
    I would takeback his gifts (if bought at supercenter walmart) and use that for food or what you and the kids need!or return it and see howhe feels to have his gifts taken away!!
    Mamma don't let your husband do that to you!
    Adja70

Answer by Adja70 at 5:41 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• he actually said that to you??o my gosh,..i mean my hubby brings up the fact that im a SAHM all the time,..but i just let it roll off my back because i know that im doing whats best for us and his greedy but cant take it.but i mean i would take it back,..how did he get it anyways?does he evr give you any money?
    amysmomma505

Answer by amysmomma505 at 5:42 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Well food and bills are more important than getting your hair cut. you have no shoes but you are able to afford having internet? come on please!... Im sorry, but i do not agree with you. be happy that the bills are paid and that you will have food in the fridge. Ask a friend to make your hair and get over it.

Really sorry to be so rude. But in my opinion, he did the right thing.
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 5:45 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• What a controlling you-know-what! That money was a gift to you. He got his own. If he wants to pay bills with his $100, then that's his right, but you should not have to fork over yours too. If you need shoes you should be able to go get some shoes. Sorry your husband is being like that. I wouldn't stand for it. The ONLY reason why I would be semi-okay with him using my gift money to pay bills is if our electricity was about to shut off or the gas shut off. That's an emergency though.
    boizmom

Answer by boizmom at 5:48 PM on Dec. 29, 2008