baby cereal

I just started my 2 month old on rice cereal the ped told me to add it to her formula since she is spittin up and has colic....has it helped neone out?does it benifet them ne?

Brinkleysmommy1

Asked by Brinkleysmommy1 at 5:54 PM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you shouldnt feed cereals before the baby is 4 months old though. Im not a doctor, but i dont think that it will help with the spitting and colic at all. :-/
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 5:59 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Yes it will help with spit up. Also you could change your formula to soy and it will help a lot too.
    I have wic and my doctor just told me to tell them to change it to soy.
    Just don't give too much or it will stop him/her up and cause constipation.
    Anonymous

• Make your feeding decisions with your doctor, not anyone on here (anytime you post a feeding question, you're going to have a lot of people telling you what to do and that you're wrong for doing anything different).

I started my son on rice cereal at two months, one tablespoon of cereal to two ounces of breastmilk. We haven't had ANY trouble with it. It can be beneficial to keeping weight on. My guy is growing like a weed, but needed cereal to help "stick to his ribs" (as my doctor put it). I'm scrawny and bony, I wish I could help myself with this! :D
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 6:09 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I don't think that solids that young are a good idea. I don't think their tummies can handle it. If I were in your shoes, I'd stop immediately.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:12 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• SOME babies will benefit from cereal this early. Many babies will not. Only way to know which type oyu have is to just go through it. If you see things getting WORSE, stop and find a different doctor.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:19 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I know where you are coming from. When my son was the same age as yours, he was constantly spitting up because he was eating so much formula. So we thickened his formula with cereal and it worked great. We always warmed up a bottle and used the formula to make the cereal. But you can use water too.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 6:43 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• i switched to soy formula with both my boys and they stopped spitting up almost immediately
    learae

Answer by learae at 7:02 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• thnx everyone that tryed not to act like a doctor lol...yea thats wat the doc said that it will thickin up her formula so she wont spit up...i started breastfeeding then they put her on good start,good start soy,similac sensetive,similac rs and then the similac alimentum and she is doing great on it jus spits up and has alot of gas so im no tryin the rice cerela and hopefully that will work!! but once again thnx for the advice
    Brinkleysmommy1

Answer by Brinkleysmommy1 at 7:24 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Soy formula with whole grain rice or oatmeal in it worked WONDERS for my daughter's reflux!! We started this at a very young age with her and my MD said it was just fine. And she suffered NO ill effects from this.
    springtimemomma

Answer by springtimemomma at 9:52 PM on Dec. 29, 2008