What do you do to keep coffee filters from losing their shape?

my husband insists on taking them out of the plastic they come in and they end up losing their shape and spreading out and then not fit in my coffee maker. What can I do to keep the shape?

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 6:26 AM on Sep. 1, 2011 in Food & Drink

• I have a small plastic Tupperware bowl that they fit perfectly in. So, i shove them in that bowl & they keep their shape. Before i realized the bowl was perfect, i used a wide mug. The mug was a bit too small, but it did help them keep their shape.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:19 AM on Sep. 1, 2011

• They make containers just for those. they are tubaware but in the shape of coffee filters.
    mom2lyl

Answer by mom2lyl at 6:32 AM on Sep. 1, 2011

• I keep my coffee filters in an empty coffee container.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 9:44 AM on Sep. 1, 2011

• Why not look into a reusable one? They work awesome and are better for the environment :)
    livewell

Answer by livewell at 7:18 AM on Sep. 1, 2011

• the reusable ones always leave a sludgy residue...it doesn't filter the coffee grinds as well. I used one for years, but DH didn't like the sludge at the bottom of the coffee pot, so i switched to paper.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:21 AM on Sep. 1, 2011

• In our drip coffee maker we use one of the mesh reusable ones. PP is right about the sludge at the bottom of the pot though. We grind out own coffee so we grind it fairly fine (probably more than we should) so that doesn't help, but we also don't drink to the bottom of the pot either. It's like the last swig of beer in the bottle. I never drink that.

I never seem to have this problem when I use the french press though.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:59 AM on Sep. 1, 2011

• When we use a drip coffee maker we use a reusable metal filter.

Most of the time it's just me here and I use my french press. The filter is a screen mesh at the bottom. It generally makes a better cup of coffee as well.
    balagan_imma

Answer by balagan_imma at 10:17 AM on Sep. 1, 2011

• Agree with pp ~ the metal reusable one is my favorite. I've had mine 8 years now ... and I don't miss buying coffee filters a bit.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 2:46 PM on Sep. 1, 2011