last nap of the day?

When is the last nap of the day for your little one? How long is it and what time do they go to bed at night? I try to get my 3 month old not to nap after 4, but at about 6 or 7 he can't keep his eyes open - and he is not ready for bed, he just wants a nap, then he won't go to bed until around 11 pm!

expectoct

Asked by expectoct at 5:58 PM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My eight month old needs a nap at 5 to 6 everday faithfully. I have tried to keep him awake but it doesn't work. So I let him take that short nap. He wakes up. Plays. Has dinner and goes to bed around 7:30 - 8. And he sleeps all night. Finally. Sometimes babies just need to sleep. All babies are different though. What my son did at 3 months is completely different from what he is now doing at 8 1/2 months. At 3 months he was going to bed around 7 to 12. And then up to nurse. Try what works for now. I would try to give him a bath at 7 and make that his bedtime. He may wake up for food, but after he eats just put him back down. Also, try to have the same routine for bedtime each night.
    momof2boys423

Answer by momof2boys423 at 6:03 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Our schedule is pretty different from anyone else's, but my husband works second shift, so it works great for us!

My baby often naps around 9 until 11 or so, then gets up for a couple hours until we all go to sleep. He usually sleeps until at least 11, which is nice as I can get ready and go to work and my husband can get his day started before taking care of baby. :D
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 6:03 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• That seem pretty normal to me. Well thats how our daughter had her naps when she was 3 months old. Well she was actually sleeping almost the whole day ;)
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 6:04 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• That sounds normal for that age. Daytime sleep patterns mature and change all through the first 18 months. I'd suggest getting the book "Healthy Sleep Habits, Happy Child". Even if you don't follow the sleep training suggestions in it, it is full of info on how sleep patterns develop and at what age.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 6:07 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• My 3 month old to 3--3 hours naps and slept all night. She is now 6 months a making up for lost play time. We sleep 12 hours at night and take 3--30 to 90 min naps during the day. Wake up from last nap at 8 and go to bed around 10.
    coala

Answer by coala at 8:21 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• My 8 month old usually takes 2 naps, but sometimes gets a short one in the early evening if her afternoon one wasn't very long or she had a particularly active day.
    springtimemomma

Answer by springtimemomma at 9:49 PM on Dec. 29, 2008