Do we have to be a member of a church??

Do my fiancee and I have to be members of a church to get gods blessing to get married? should I trust these people who we pay from a phone book to marry us anywhere we want? Are these people really ministers/reverends? It means a lot to us to get married by a man of god. Please tell me who i can trust and marry us in two months without all the sign up memberships and classes.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:02 PM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Relationships

• Just go to a non catholic church , no others force you to do anything you don't want .
    Meshell7

Answer by Meshell7 at 6:05 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• many ministers do expect counsiling. you see as my brother says ( he is a minister) he wants to be sure of the couple. he dosen't want to marry a couple that will fail. sometimes it is just meeting with t hew minister a couple of times. If it means a lot to you to have a minister then I would assume you attend a church ask the minister there. If you do not attend then just call around and see what they say each minister will have their own requirements.
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 6:12 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• i went to a christian church they said i needed to be a member and take classes but it will take 6 months , i plan to marry in 2 months
    Anonymous

• Most churches will require that you take counseling of some kind. That may take longer than two months.

You might consider a civil wedding ceremony NOW, and do a church wedding later after whatever has passed that has you rushing to the altar. Nothing at all wrong with that. I have some friends who did a courthouse wedding because the bride's visa was nearly up, and then they had a big ceremony with a minister six months later. They now celebrate two anniversaries a year.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:18 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Most churches will require marriage classes. I really enjoyed ours, we talked about a lot of stuff we never discussed before and it opened up our communication. The classes can only help you.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 6:41 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Maybe you could call ministers and see if they would marry you outside of the church. Thats what I did for my first marriage.
    mommie020308

Answer by mommie020308 at 8:00 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• u cannot have it both ways, a man of God and no classes. at the very least u will have to meet w/the person one or two times. If someone says"oh sure I'm a pastor, pay me and we'll do this thing!" I wouldn't trust them anyways. If having a man of God is so important to you guys then the classes should be fun.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 8:21 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I can't say it better than Bearsjen... you can't have it both ways.
    Anonymous