When can you add rice to a newborn's formula?

My twins are 2 month and eat every 2.5 hours they eat 4 oz. I tried to up the ounces but they won't eat that much in one sitting. They also have colic. please help. I am not getting sleep and have hardly any help at home

jmegee

Asked by jmegee at 6:07 PM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My DD had about 2 or 3 teaspoons of cereal in her bottle when she was a but younger and not eating as many solids yet (she is 8 months now) because she had significant reflux and this helped the formula stay down better. Yes we tried several types of formula, this was the only thing that helped!! She was just about 3 months old the first time she had cereal.
    springtimemomma

Answer by springtimemomma at 9:33 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• NEVER PUT CEREAL IN A BOTTLE!!!!!!!!!!! Babies should have NOTHING but breastmilk (formula) for AT LEAST 6 months.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 6:09 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I wouldn't do it EVER if I were you. Cereal in the bottle is a big no no. And I also would not introduce any solids before 6 months. Cereal isn't going to help colic. It might make it worse, because the cereal could upset their immature tummies.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:10 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Discuss it with your pediatrician, not people on here. Mommies are too opinionated!

I started my son on rice cereal at two months, in a bottle. No complaints, no problems...but I did it AFTER discussing it with our doctor. All babies grow differently, and can handle different things at different times. Good luck!
    KatieCrandall

Answer by KatieCrandall at 6:11 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• It is a MYTH that cereal in the bottle will help them sleep longer - babies unfortunately aren't made like adults to sleep when its bedtime .
    What putting cereal in a bottle can do is cause digestive issues for the child later in life , pose a choking hazard amongst other things.
    Unless your doctor tells you to do it for REFLUX, don't it won't do a darn thing .
    Meshell7

Answer by Meshell7 at 6:11 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Never unless your doc tells you. It's a choking hazard.

And cereal doesn't make them sleep. Indeed, it can make them wake MORE. Sleep when they do sleep, leave things undone.

Answer by gdiamante at 6:14 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I never gave my baby solids until she was 11 months old. I breast feed though so, it's different.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 6:17 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Never, unless directed by your pediatrician for reflux. in addition it doesn't help at all with sleep. My son eats baby foods before bed and still wakes every 2-3 hours at night (he almost 6 months)
    That said, they are eating as much as they should and every 2.5 hours is normal.
    As far as colic, it's not a diagnosis, it's a symptom of something else... usually tummy related. I would talk to your doctor about maybe changing formula, or checking for reflux.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 6:31 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Trust your judgement, and ask your pediatrician.

I started giving my son rice cereal, in his bottle, around the same age as your twins. He wasn't staying full long enough between feedings and was consuming a very large amount of formula per day. So I thickened his formula with the rice cereal and it worked great.

If you do put it in the bottle, make sure you have a large enough hole in the nipple so they can suck the stuff out. We used a Y cut nipple that works great with thicker formula.
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 6:39 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I agree with asking your pediatrician. Everyone on here is gonna have different opinions, different results, etc....what works for someone elses baby may not work for yours.
    babycakes254

Answer by babycakes254 at 6:51 PM on Dec. 29, 2008