how long can you wait to change your last name after you get married?

i have been married for almost a year still havent change my last name. is there a limit? how do i do it? how much does it cost?
i havent done it because i wasnt sure if i'd like it or be used to it.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:15 PM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Just for Fun

• There is not a time limit. My friend just got hers changed, and she has been married for almost 3 years. You just take a certified copy of your marriage license to the dmv and social security office.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 6:17 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• You can wait as long as you want or not change it at all. It didnt cost me anything but the fee for a new photo license with my new name. Other than that I just went to the bank to change it, went online to the social security office and printed off the form and mailed that in and they sent me a new card, called all the companies to change it like phone,lights,cable,etc.
    asholan_07

Answer by asholan_07 at 6:18 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• it dosen't cost a thing and I did it right away.
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 6:18 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• forgot to say that there is not cost for the social security card, and I think the license is just the normal renewal fee.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 6:18 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• no time limit and its free other then you have to change it on your DL which cost you but its fairly cheap i think.
    SS wont charge you to do this you just have to go to your local office with your marriege licence and they do it there for you and then send you a new card its easy.
    Mommy2B04

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 6:20 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• So sad that I can barely remember something I did just 6 years ago, lol.

I got my last name changed probably within the week but I can't remember what it cost. IF it did cost me anything, it was only like $5 at the social security office.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 6:20 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• wow good question.. i'm in the same boat i have been married going on 4 years and havent changed my name why.... because were i would have to go is the city and it scares me to death..dont ask about the parking lol. and i dont even know were the ss office is. its mad. i know my dh would be happy and im gonna do it when i get enough rawww to drive there. so thanks for your question it also helped me. hope it all works out for you. xo
    tabbys4

Answer by tabbys4 at 6:24 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• it cost me nothing and it within a month of being married, although it did take forFRIGGINever to get my new ss card. i just renewed my drivers license so my name is my married name
    learae

Answer by learae at 6:24 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I changed mine the day of. I couldn't wait, I just wish I could get my sons' name changed to my married one instead of him keeping my maiden name.
    Anonymous

• I went like the next week after we got married to change it at the social security office because I was so excited (that was after we got back from our honeymoon). They just gave me a form to fill out and checked my marriage certificate and printed it up for me right there. Once it's filed with the SSA it is official.
    I didn't change my license until it expired almost 3 years after I got married, lol. I just took my marriage certificate to the DMV with me filled in another form and they changed the name and I only had to pay the $10 to get a new license which I was paying anyway. I still have some credit cards in my maiden name which always gets confusing when they ask for ID and it has my married name on it.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 6:38 PM on Dec. 29, 2008