how long can you wait to change your last name after you get married?

i have been married for almost a year still havent change my last name. is there a limit? how do i do it? how much does it cost?
i havent done it because i wasnt sure if i'd like it or be used to it.

Asked by Anonymous at 6:15 PM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Just for Fun

• There is not a time limit. My friend just got hers changed, and she has been married for almost 3 years. You just take a certified copy of your marriage license to the dmv and social security office.

Answer by Jazak at 6:17 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• You can wait as long as you want or not change it at all. It didnt cost me anything but the fee for a new photo license with my new name. Other than that I just went to the bank to change it, went online to the social security office and printed off the form and mailed that in and they sent me a new card, called all the companies to change it like phone,lights,cable,etc.

Answer by asholan_07 at 6:18 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• it dosen't cost a thing and I did it right away.

Answer by Lyndall at 6:18 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• forgot to say that there is not cost for the social security card, and I think the license is just the normal renewal fee.

Answer by Jazak at 6:18 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• no time limit and its free other then you have to change it on your DL which cost you but its fairly cheap i think.
    SS wont charge you to do this you just have to go to your local office with your marriege licence and they do it there for you and then send you a new card its easy.

Answer by Mommy2B04 at 6:20 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• So sad that I can barely remember something I did just 6 years ago, lol.

I got my last name changed probably within the week but I can't remember what it cost. IF it did cost me anything, it was only like $5 at the social security office.

Answer by ReneeK3 at 6:20 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• wow good question.. i'm in the same boat i have been married going on 4 years and havent changed my name why.... because were i would have to go is the city and it scares me to death..dont ask about the parking lol. and i dont even know were the ss office is. its mad. i know my dh would be happy and im gonna do it when i get enough rawww to drive there. so thanks for your question it also helped me. hope it all works out for you. xo

Answer by tabbys4 at 6:24 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• it cost me nothing and it within a month of being married, although it did take forFRIGGINever to get my new ss card. i just renewed my drivers license so my name is my married name

Answer by learae at 6:24 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I changed mine the day of. I couldn't wait, I just wish I could get my sons' name changed to my married one instead of him keeping my maiden name.

• I went like the next week after we got married to change it at the social security office because I was so excited (that was after we got back from our honeymoon). They just gave me a form to fill out and checked my marriage certificate and printed it up for me right there. Once it's filed with the SSA it is official.
    I didn't change my license until it expired almost 3 years after I got married, lol. I just took my marriage certificate to the DMV with me filled in another form and they changed the name and I only had to pay the $10 to get a new license which I was paying anyway. I still have some credit cards in my maiden name which always gets confusing when they ask for ID and it has my married name on it.

Answer by justanotherjen at 6:38 PM on Dec. 29, 2008