• In the Spotlight:

Ugh

When girls ask on here, when did I conceive? Why do people always tell them to count back 40 weeks from their due date? That's not correct. You are already "2" weeks when you conceive...since they do pregnancy time different. It irks me b/c I think a lot of these girls are trying to figure out when they got pregnant b/c of "who's the daddy" issues and girls pop up and say I'm this many days and got pregnant this day and seem so confident but if I count, they're not taking out that two weeks.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:23 PM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Pregnancy

• it really depends on what they mean gestional age or weeks pregnant. you are right when most people count they count from last period but gestational age is from conception. you need to know which your doctor uses when you ask. my doctor always used gestational age so when I delivered at 36 1/2 weeks I was only one week early.
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 6:26 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• umm if i count from the day im due back 40wks its pretty darn close to the time i concieved and i know just about when i did becuz we were trying so i was keeping track of my cycle very closely. so maybe its not correct in every case but its pretty close most the time i think.
    But if it erks you then i guess you should put your two cents in.
    Anonymous

• I was thinking the same thing!! Most people do not know that though.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 6:26 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I think that they are trying to determine the sex of the baby with the chinese chart LOL
    Scimecamommy

Answer by Scimecamommy at 6:28 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• First poster....if you count back 40 weeks that's the first day of your last period...not conception date.
    Anonymous

• the prob is eliminated if u go to ANY pregnancy site and tell them your due date-it auto calculates backwards. Then no one is "irked".
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 6:30 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• lol I ALWAYS correct them and say, actually you are 2 weeks when you conceive b/c they go by the first day of your last period...not the actual day you conceived. I know the EXACT day I got pregnant b/c I only had sex once in 3 months and it was on November 2nd. I was due July 28th, if I would've counted back 40 weeks then it would've had me having sex in Oct...which didn't happen. But, it makes me seem stupid when I say to the posters on here that you count back 38 weeks when 5 people behind me say, count back 40. It bugs me too lol
    a_and_j_momma

Answer by a_and_j_momma at 6:33 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Because if they have to ask when they conceived, if you tell them about the 2 week it will just confuse them. Obviously they aren't able to find a calendar site and are relying on a bunch of women that don't know and most likely don't care when they got pregnant.
    Anonymous