Do you plan your meals?

Do you make menus for your family? I have been told that you spend less when you plan out your menus, this is what I plan to start this new year. If yes is it weekly, biweekly or monthly?

Saved_by_GOD

Asked by Saved_by_GOD at 6:29 PM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Food & Drink

• I plan dinners only on a bi weekly basis .
    Meshell7

Answer by Meshell7 at 6:30 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• No, I have never planned out my meals, I think that next year I will have to start, money is tight and I need to save as much as I can.
    misssha7501

Answer by misssha7501 at 6:31 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I actually spent an afternoon thinking up 30 different dinners and made a month long menu...four pages...one page for each week...and on the back of the page for each week, I wrote out a grocery list. I didn't end up doing it...I'm pregnant and I've had a lot of food aversions where nothing sounds good, but I saved them to hopefully start after the baby is born. I think it will save me some serious money.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 6:34 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I plan for a week. It helps me know what to buy and what leftovers or planned overs there will be. If I see something on sale while in the grocery store, I can change my mind and plans very quickly. I also consider what is in the freezer and should be eaten rather than stored any longer. I plan all courses- salad, dessert, main dish, vegetables.

Answer by Bmat at 6:35 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Usually. I sit down at the end of each week and make a list planning out each dinner, then go shopping. Sometimes things get mixed around a little,such as what food on what day, or having potatoes with ham, instead of venison or whatever, but I stick to it for the most part.
    asholan_07

Answer by asholan_07 at 6:39 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• kabbot01 thats a great idea.
    Saved_by_GOD

Answer by Saved_by_GOD at 6:51 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I do, but it depends. Like this last couple of weeks, I had it planned and then completely ignored it. With the holidays, and wrapping presents, watching specials, etc., it was just easier to do other things.
    When I do it, I plan for 2 weeks at at ime. I plan for each day, but then once we get going in a week, depending on what happens that day, I may switch Tuesday's meal to Monday, or Wednesday to Friday, etc. It does help me save money, to a point. It also makes it easier to cook at night, b/c I get meat out to thaw the night before, instead of spending all day deciding what to make and then having to try to pry frozen pork chops or chicken apart. It also helps me give the kids variety in their lunches, b/c I can plan to give them certain leftovers instead of pb&j all the time.
    tropicalmama

Answer by tropicalmama at 7:00 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• well,,i stock up on sales,,,,,,meat veggies,,,,,,,,ect....then i plan ,,,,,for instance on Sun..ill look in my freezer,,find 5 meats plan and then go get what i may not have ,,,,,,,ex:sauce for chicken parm ,,,and of course all the basics i buy ,,milk,,bread,,
    cameron536

Answer by cameron536 at 7:08 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I plan based on the store sales circulars.

Answer by gdiamante at 8:17 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I never plan. I shop daily. Who's ever turn it is to choose, that's what we have.
    Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 9:58 PM on Dec. 29, 2008