Tax Question filing married jointly or married seperated so on....

I've been unemployed for close to 3yrs & now married. I'm excited to say that I have been offered a position in my former career field.

Questions in you opinion or based on your knowledge what is the best way to file on your state payroll taxes as well as federal when it comes to being married ?

Now that I'll be working my hubby says he'll do what's right & best on his payrolls taxes just to let him know which direction to go.

If he files #4 dependents including me then I'll file #0 with my employer to be.

When I was single I always claimed myself so don't know what to do now.

Thanks for taking the time to answer & your input.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:36 PM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Money & Work

• I would have one of u file all the dependents and one of u file none... u will get a better tax return that way, it dont really matter which one of u does it though
    Anonymous

• have him clam dependents
    Anonymous

• If there are 4 of you on your W-4 form both of you should claim 0-2. Then you are guarenteed to get a nice size chunk back when you do your taxes. We have 5 and only claim 2 all year.
    Chrissy629

Answer by Chrissy629 at 9:53 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• That sounds find. About half way through the year, then three quarters of the way through, do a quick projection and see how much income v. withholding you have. If you are ahead, you can scale back the withholding. If not, you can pay in estimated taxes at that time. Chances are you'll be fine with they way you are planning it.
    Anonymous