Shellac nail polish vs. Gel nail polish

I just did my nails the other day with my neighbor's shellac nail polish ~ and love it! Now I see gel nail polish advertised in a flyer. Does anyone know what the difference is?? From what I have looked up so far it looks as though the shellac may be better for your nails and a little easier to get off??

jekrmom

Asked by jekrmom at 9:32 AM on Sep. 1, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• HI, I sell both CND shellac, and OPI gels,, the gels last longer, but are harder to put on, the shellac sometimes peels of in one big chunk, if someone is in water alot, neither of them require you to rough up the natural nail, so they are equally safe, OPI is launching a gel polish in January,, and I am totally excited about it! Are you a nail tech?
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:35 AM on Sep. 1, 2011

• No, not a nail tech. Just a mom who hasn't painted her nails in like 8 years because I would have to wait for them to dry then they would chip right off ~ lol!! I am loving this since it stays on so good and long! Love having my nails painted. So, would you recommend one over the other?? My neighbor had bought the generic brand off of ebay, not the CND. I see in my Ulta flyer they have Red Carpet gel advertised with a LED light instead of the UV light. And I was checking out the OPI Axiuum stuff online. I love OPI ~ I have like 2 favorite colors that I always do on my toes. It goes on great and lasts good on my toes.
    jekrmom

Comment by jekrmom (original poster) at 9:42 AM on Sep. 1, 2011

• The convenience of gel nail polish is great but long usage over time is really bad for your nails. Trust me I use to get mine done 1-2 times a month depending on how much they chipped and I got tired of my nails becoming weak and brittle. I even was taking a vitamin especially for hair, skin and nails to help and it didn't. Finally, I just had to stop getting the gel manicures and let my nails grow out and recover.

Having them done for a special occasion is fine but to do indefinitely I would strongly recommend not to.

Ladybugkisses76

Answer by Ladybugkisses76 at 9:45 AM on Sep. 1, 2011

• Well first of all you need to be careful about buying it on line,, you usually need to have your proof you went to school to buy professional products, the stuff you get on line is sometimes fake/watered down etc.. The Gel will be difficult for the average person to apply it, you have to do it in coats, and use your brush to make it even,, a LED light is the BEST, but once again I would only purchase a OPI or CND one, they have a better warranty, and the replacement bulbs are easier to get. In January OPI will be launching 60 colors of their new "gel polish".
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:48 AM on Sep. 1, 2011

• So one more question then!! Does it matter if you use a UV light or LED light to dry/cure them?? And, is the curing time the same with both lights?
    jekrmom

Comment by jekrmom (original poster) at 9:54 AM on Sep. 1, 2011

• The UV light takes longer,, The LED light does not work well with Shellac, but cuts the drying time in 1/2 with OPI,, How much are they asking for both? I am curious, a good UV light should run about 100-200, a good LED light about $200, but many times you can get a free light for purchasing x amount of the product.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 9:58 AM on Sep. 1, 2011

• There is a LED light in the Ulta flyer for $9.99 ~ portable ~ Red Carpet brand. My neighbor got her UV light off of ebay I believe for less than $30 ~ but it shipped from Hong Kong or somewhere like that!!
    jekrmom

Comment by jekrmom (original poster) at 10:00 AM on Sep. 1, 2011

• trust me a $9 LED light is going to be junk,, if even real,,did you say Red Carpet? I am going to google it and see.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:06 AM on Sep. 1, 2011

• I found a Red Carpet Beauty Supply in North Carolina, but couldn't find any advertisments for them,
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:08 AM on Sep. 1, 2011

• Sorry ~ it was $19.99 ~ not much better!! I saw the Red Carpet brand in the Ulta flyer ~ www.ultabeauty.com
    jekrmom

Comment by jekrmom (original poster) at 10:13 AM on Sep. 1, 2011