All you married & formely married working ladies need your help....

I've been unemployed for close to 3yrs & now I'm married. I'm excited to say that I have been offered a position in my former career field.

Questions in you opinion or based on your knowledge what is the best way to file on your state payroll taxes as well as federal when it comes to being married ?

Now that I'll be working my hubby says he'll do what's right & best on his payrolls taxes just to let him know which direction to go.

If he files #4 dependents including me then I'll file #0 with my employer to be.

When I was single I always claimed myself so don't know what to do now that I'm married.

Thanks for taking the time to answer & your input.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:38 PM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Money & Work

• My husband always files head of household, and then I file married no dependents! Hope that helps, that is what we were advised to do.
    SweetPea05

Answer by SweetPea05 at 6:43 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Well, if he claims 4 and you claim 0, I am still willing to bet you will be paying in at the end of the year. I guess it depends on who makes the most, but I would just claim 1 on each of yours. Now, I am referring to the payroll taxes filed by your employer... not at the end of the year. You can always called H & R Block and talk to them about it though.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 6:44 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I would go fiddle around on tax calculators that are available now and see what your best bet is before you go in to fill out your employment paperwork and file this year.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 7:00 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• When I was married , I claimed zero. Now that I am single I still calim zero. so I can get back more at the end of the year.
    wolflinx

Answer by wolflinx at 8:42 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• We always claim the maximum amount allowed on hubby's paycheck...married with 10 dependants. I claim single on my little paycheck. Here's how it works out...they take very little taxes out of hubby's check. This gives us more in our take-home pay for him. They take a lot out of my check...this usually offsets what they don't take from dh's. It also keeps us from loaning our money to the government interest free for a year. We don't qualify for earned income because dh makes to much money but with mortgage interest and 3 kids and all our deductions, we still end up getting money back. This past year we got $1400. We file our taxes as married with 3 dependants.
    mizkaye

Answer by mizkaye at 3:59 PM on Dec. 31, 2008