Do you think it is possible to be married in the eyes of God without "the paper" or a ceremony?

We have "commonlaw" marriage in my state. My partner and I have prayed to God and asked for his blessing on us and made a covenant with each other to live as husband and wife. We cannot afford a wedding at this time. What could be seen as a marriage in the eyes of God?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:13 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I am not legally married, but Biblically speaking I think it says that Marriage is a covenant between a man and a woman before God. It doesn't have anything to do with a piece of paper. But the Bible also says a lot about giving to Cesar what is Cesar's. ( Going within the laws of government as long as it doesn't interfere with Gods laws. Of course the question is, if you feel that strongly about it - why not go down to the justice of the peace? Then no one can question it.
    firstimemom4049

Answer by firstimemom4049 at 6:28 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I think so. I don't know if ppl were really "married" in the bible days (meaning a marriage certificate)
    tfmmpmmdmmom

Answer by tfmmpmmdmmom at 2:16 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• i think so.
    AFBiddleMama420

Answer by AFBiddleMama420 at 2:17 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I don't see why people need a marriage certificate which is just a piece of paper to state that they are married. I believe in the common law marriage.
    TattooedBeauty

Answer by TattooedBeauty at 2:20 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Just remember that weddings should not and do not have to cost more than you can afford. If you plan and ask around - friends will help you decorate. Michaels and Hobby Lobby have stuff to rent - if you feel like you'd want something like that.
    Anonymous

• yes
    clithero

Answer by clithero at 3:11 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• My husband and i couldnt afford a big wedding either, so we got the paper and two witnesses and were married by the justice of the piece. We had our wedding later when we could afford it.
    Dawn07

Answer by Dawn07 at 3:47 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• a civil ceremony at the clerk of the court. If you cant affort a 5 or 20 dollar marriage liscense then you have bigger issues. The Bible says to follow your rulers laws. In court a civil cermony marriage is a legal marriage. proving a common law marriage is difficult at best.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 5:28 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• A marriage licence is over 40 dollars here, not including the tests that are not free that need to be done to get one. Also, A commonlaw marrige is legal in my state, so that would make it a law. How dare YOU JUDGE me and my HUSBAND and say that we "have bigger problems" if we are poor and cannot afford a lot. Did it ever occur to you that we are disabled?!? and thats why we don't have money. How does it FEEL TO BE SO SELF RIGHTOUS?
    Anonymous

• aaaaaaaaamen!(firstimemom4049)
    kimsboys

Answer by kimsboys at 7:30 PM on Jun. 19, 2008