When should I start letting my daughter shave?

My daughter will be ten in a couple of weeks and wants to start shaving, I'm thinking I should make her wait a couple of more years but I would like to get some opinions on it.

sammiesmom2000

Asked by sammiesmom2000 at 7:23 AM on Jul. 15, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• I let my daughter start her arm pits and legs at 11. Some may say that is young but who really wants to walk around with dark hair under their arms when they are swimming and wearing tank tops... this is what worked for us... good luck
    mommyof4ormore

Answer by mommyof4ormore at 8:33 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I think whenever they are ready, my mom let me start shaving when I was like 8 cause I had hair on my legs and I wanted to. I turned out fine. I dont think it makes a difference.
    MommyMel03

Answer by MommyMel03 at 10:14 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I let my daughter start when she was 9. I only allow her to use the VEET cream with the rubber razor. That way, I can be sure she's not going to hurt herself. I figured it was time when she came back from her father's house and had done it 'in secret' there with her slightly older sister... Now, she only does it about once a month - but it still makes her feel better about herself and her appearance.
    FishBiscuit

Answer by FishBiscuit at 10:58 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

• It's time if she asked.
    rosetoes

Answer by rosetoes at 11:47 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I think it depends on the hair situation, if she doesnt have much hair I would hold off and explain to her you can barely see it and it will grow back thicker etc, but if she has alot of hair either under arms or legs I would let her, its also a hygenic issue
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 3:05 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• My mom let me start when I started getting hair under my arms, I was about 11. I think that is what I will do with mine. My oldest is 7 now, and I can't imagine letting her do it any time soon.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 5:08 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• My mom tried to make me wait until i was in high school. i went to her before then and told her all of the other girls were already doing it and i felt embarrased and didn't like being the only one to have hairy legs. She let me start then. If she's ready for the responsibility, then by all means...try it out!
    Tammycakes

Answer by Tammycakes at 7:17 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• When your daughter is ready it is time to let her. It is likely that her peers are shaving & she will feel ridiculed if she can't. A nice compromise is to get her an electric shaver & let her use that for a year or two before letting her shave with a razor.
    nysa00

Answer by nysa00 at 8:39 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I think it varys as soon as they start needing it i would say.
    mom-of3

Answer by mom-of3 at 1:15 AM on Jul. 16, 2008

• I'm wondering the same thing!!And I totally was thinking about the electric razor as well!My 9 yo has a unibrow so i waxed in between.They are very hair concious!My sd wants to shave her arms!not arm pits ARMS!!She always wears sweaters to cover them at school.I guess everybody is right if its bothersome to them let them do it-Is it really going to make a huge difference in hair growth and diameter?I always say don't shave the thigh until you are much much older though-is that what everyone else thinks?
    hollid

Answer by hollid at 10:54 AM on Jul. 16, 2008