How do you know if your elbow is broken?

Okay, don't laugh at me but I seriously think I broke my elbow! I was walking out of class yesterday and I wasn't paying attention and I rammed my elbow into these wooden coat hangers on the wall. I can't even explain the pain when it happened, and yes I have hit my "funny bone" before and it felt 100x worse than that. I couldn't even bend it when it happened. 2 days later I still can't bend it and if I do it is excrutiating. I mean there probably isn't much I can do for it. There isn't a bruise, it isn't swollen, it just hurts really bad...

Sammy4411

Asked by Sammy4411 at 1:31 PM on Sep. 1, 2011 in Health

• As long as u can move your arm and use it then I would say it is just a bad sprain. Unless u have really weak bones,I have never heard of anyone breaking anything on a hanger.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 1:34 PM on Sep. 1, 2011

• it wasn't a hanger, it was more like a circle block of wood that are being used as coat hangers
    Sammy4411

Comment by Sammy4411 (original poster) at 1:35 PM on Sep. 1, 2011

• If you have insurance I suggest to go get an xray

Answer by admckenzie at 1:39 PM on Sep. 1, 2011

• X-ray is the only way to tell. Hairline fractures can allow for some movement.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 1:41 PM on Sep. 1, 2011

• sounds like a stress fracture- been there,done that
    for mine they just splinted it and gave me a sling. It took about a month to heal

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 1:41 PM on Sep. 1, 2011

• I agree it could be a stress fracture. My dd broke her elbow and there was no mistake when it happened. Her arm hung there looking like spaghetti. She could not move it, and it swelled up very quickly. You would also by now probably feel some tingling in your fingers if the elbow was broken completely. I have had a stress fracture on my ankle and the doctor told me those sometimes hurt more even if you can move the body part. Go have it looked at.

Answer by gemgem at 1:44 PM on Sep. 1, 2011

• I don't think you have broken anything, if you would have -given the area- you would have probably chipped a part of the bone and it wouldn't hurt so much. More than likely you bruised the tendons or sack around the elbow. Try to isolate it as much as possible and if in a couple of weeks it is not getting better, get it checked, an x-ray will give you a better idea. Good Luck.
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 1:56 PM on Sep. 1, 2011

• @lejane I haven't ever broken a bone before so idk what it feels like so it's completely possible that I didn't break a bone, all I know is it hurts freaking bad!
    Sammy4411

Comment by Sammy4411 (original poster) at 2:07 PM on Sep. 1, 2011

• You 'll know it only thru X-RAY.....
    vivianne112

Answer by vivianne112 at 3:06 PM on Sep. 1, 2011