How can I get my daughter to actually use the potty?

My daughter is 2, and she usually follows me into the bathroom and mocks me when I'm using the bathroom, but sometimes she'll put her toys into her potty or when I sit her on the potty (w/o her diaper on), she doesn't stay put. How do you get your LO's to actually use the potty? I don't pressure or rush her, but if she's going to sit on her potty, then she needs to actually use it.

mamadee1971

Asked by mamadee1971 at 7:39 PM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my dd is the same way.. she just wants to wipe and throw TP in the potty.. but my oldest just started going when she was ready..GL
    emturner

Answer by emturner at 7:43 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• My daughter wouldn't sit either. If I put her there, she jumped up and ran away laughing. I waited until she was willing to sit there. That was at 27 months. I'd let yours just keep exploring and playing for now. She's trying to get comfortable with the idea and figure out as much of it as she can ahead of time.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 9:41 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I agree with Kaycee. My munkin is only 13 months but I let her follow me and watch now. Later I'll add the potty and let her explore when she's ready she'll let me know... ;0)
    BxMetroMom718

Answer by BxMetroMom718 at 10:17 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Have read a story on the potty? Or sung a favorite song?
    gimmykissy77

Answer by gimmykissy77 at 7:27 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• With my first, I just spent a day giving her lots of water and sitting her on the potty till she went. With my second, we do part time elimination communication.We started as a newborn. He should be much easier. It is good you are not trying to pressure her.

Just try to distract her with a book or something if you think she needs to go.
    Butterflybabies

Answer by Butterflybabies at 9:34 AM on Dec. 30, 2008