does ankle wieghts do anything for your lower legs by the ankle part?

americansugar80

Asked by americansugar80 at 7:40 PM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Diet & Fitness

• If you use them to move the part of your leg below the knee, they help strengthen the shin and the back of the leg, depending on the exercise. Sit in a chair and straighten the leg until not locked, then lower slowly. For the back of the leg, stand and do a hamstring curl- bring the heel up toward the back end. I agree with the above poster about not wearing them for walking or running- seems to me they could also mess up the hip- its that momentum.

Answer by Bmat at 8:46 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• They're actually bad for you. they caused horrible tendonitis in my knees, we used to have to run with them in cross country.
    oliviasmomma09

Answer by oliviasmomma09 at 7:49 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• They work the whole leg and butt IF you use them as mentioned above. DO NOT use them for mobile exercise be it walking, a treadmill, bike, or whatever. If you want extra weight for those exercises, get a weighted vest.
    Anonymous