BOTTLE PLEASE HELP NO BASHING

my son is almost 2 how in the world do i take the bottle i have tryed everything but its seems like im about to fall apart... he only wants it at nite PLLLEAAASE HEELLPPPP

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:01 PM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Just let him have it , its not worth the fight if its only at bedtime .
    He won't take one to school with him .
    Meshell7

Answer by Meshell7 at 8:02 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Does that make me a bad mom ? Seems like someone may put me down for a 2 yr old still on a bottle
    Anonymous

• you should give him the cup instead and tell him nicely that hes a big boy and big boys need cups.. that you had to give his bottle to a new little baby somewhere because they didnt have any
    XKsmommy

Answer by XKsmommy at 8:04 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• idk i am going through the same thing.. except that I have another baby due at any time. and I let him have his bottle for his bed and naps. I don't have the energy to fight him on it so, I don't feel the need to push the issue.
    Good luck, and do what works best for your son and your family. You don't have to do what is the norm.
    noah_n_mommy07

Answer by noah_n_mommy07 at 8:09 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• People might put you down , but they aren't living your life .
    Its no different than breastfeeding a 2 year old - it's a comfort thing - he'll give it up when he's ready.
    Meshell7

Answer by Meshell7 at 8:12 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Have you tried giving him a sippy cup of milk before bed and incorporating it into your pre-bed routine? By that I mean, give him a cup of milk (you can warm it if he likes it that way) and sit in his bed to read to him while he drinks his milk. Or, sit and have his milk on the couch in a cup while you read to him. When he's finished, say "ok, time to go brush your teeth and go to bed" then take him, brush teeth, put him in his bed, read to him some more if you like, then night, night, and lights out. You may find that by replacing the comfort of the bottle with the comfort of a little extra time with mommy and/or daddy, he won't miss the bottle so much. Good luck!
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 8:21 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• what's in the bottle? if it's anything other than water, start by diluting it a little each night. It starts to lose it's appeal when it's watery milk/juice. :) We also made sure we had a "no bottle" and a "no liquids except water" after teeth brushing rule.

IS he falling asleep with the bottle? Try to incorporate new elements to a solid bed time routine. Work with him to find something else to replace the bottle as a comfort item. A favorite stuffed toy, a blanket, etc.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 8:28 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Another thing to consider is that you will want to start trying to potty train soon...well, in a year(ish) lol

So getting rid of the bottle and the nighttime liquid will serve you two fold!

Does he NEED the bottle before bed? For nourishment I mean. Try giving him a new bedtime buddy in exchange for the bottle. And take all of the bottles away....pack them up or throw them away so you're not tempted to give in. If it's not for nourishment, it's more like a pacifier thing (I think)...just take it away and be done with it in a few days is my opinion.

But he's YOUR son...you have to do what you feel is right.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:35 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• my son was 2 in september and is still a bottle baby. he's not ready and neither are we to take it away. our oldest was 2 and a half and is fine and i think the baby will be too.
    TBKSuperMama

Answer by TBKSuperMama at 9:04 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Heck, mine is 29 months! It's how she calms down and relaxes. Without it, she is a squirming mass of toddler energy. With it, she calms down and naps and sleeps. I only put water in it so it won't hurt her teeth. I've started talking about how she won't have the bottle one day but I'm waiting until she is fully day time potty trained before moving any further - one large stressor at a time is the rule of thumb for toddlers.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 9:36 PM on Dec. 29, 2008