• In the Spotlight:

Does anyone know what I need to do to do? My daughter who is now 15 wants to come live with me. She lives where she was born, in Hungerford, TX with her father and step mother. The step-mother adopted her (without me even knowing it). Do I talk

vkirschman

Asked by vkirschman at 8:02 PM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• she couldnt have legally adopted her with out you knowing you would have had to sighn rights over. you just need to file for costudy in your state of your daughter but chances are after this long you wont get it but you never know so go ahead and try.
    Anonymous

• pp is right, it is not a legal adoption because u never signed it. Unless u had NOTHING to do w/her life, no talking no money not letters-nothing. then they could say u abandoned her, but I don't think so.call a lawyer who does free consultations.that is all u can do-and one more thing mom, be sure u want your daughter, faults and all. things will not be easy and u cannot get her and then think "oh crap this is too hard" be sure before you move her and hange her whole life.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 10:46 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Not true about "It's not a legal adoption."

It is a law that they had to post an intent to adopt in the local paper of where you might have lived last. The article has to run for 4 weeks. If you do not reply then it proceeds into the courts. If you do not show up then the adoption goes through. It's legal. That's how children can be adopted when the other parent can not be found.

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 11:10 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Does she say why she wants to live with you? I would be careful. If they treat her well and she is taken care of I would not let her come and live with you. She may just think that the grass is greener on the other side and is using you to hurt her dad and step mom.
    Magpie75

Answer by Magpie75 at 12:42 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Southerncharmes is right about the adoption, however, if you've been involved you may be able to fight this. Maqpie75 is right about why she might want to come live with you.

Does she visit you? I mean, if she comes and visits a few times a year you probably try to cram all the fun stuff in and don't push chores and what not. She could think that you're the "fun" one and is upset her dad and step-mom have rules and such.
    jms124

Answer by jms124 at 10:09 PM on Dec. 30, 2008