Presents...still wrapped, but kids never came over to get them...what now?

My step kids didn't even bother coming over on Christmas day, after I spoke to two of them that said they would....didn't show up...and personally I am wanting to give their presents away to someone who will appreciate them. IS THIS WRONG? And what do I tell the kids when they ask for them?

Sheriberi

Asked by Sheriberi at 8:02 PM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Adult Children (18+)

• They obviously didn't want them and showed you such disrespect by not at least calling so you could reschedule exhanging gifts that if it were me I would have no problem giving them to someone who appreciated them. I'd even tell them I had gifts for them but gave them away. I have no problem with telling someone that their behavior was rude and there are consequences to such disrespect. If it ever happens again there will be no more gift buying. Yes ppl think I'm a witch but I think it's important to be respected.

Answer by admckenzie at 9:48 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Maybe something happened and they got tied up? I'd find out what happened first before making any assumptions. If they don't care about them either way, I'd find the gifts new homes or simply return them.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 8:07 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• If they didn't think that you were important enough to keep their word to, no phone call to say sorry plans changed, well they don't need them anyway.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 8:08 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• don't give the stuff away, just set them in a closet until they stop by and say"Oh these were for christmas." let them feel bad and childish-not u by tossing their gifts.kwim? let them see u r the bigger person and if they don't u and dh know u did the right thing.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 8:09 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• wanted to add that when I was 18 I would blow off going to my dad's because it was so painful for me. He didn't want to hear abbout that so it was easier for me to cope by not going. I just wanted to throw that in there...
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 8:11 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• That is a tough one. Christmas was Thurs. What is the reason they still haven't come over? Is this what they did last year? It would depend on why they haven 't come over. If they are just being rude and selfish I would return their gifts and buy something cheap.
    momof2boys423

Answer by momof2boys423 at 8:15 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• That you feel sad and unhappy about this is with good reason. You went to the trouble and care of thinking of them, and you planned on their being there. They really are at fault. It would not improve relations between you all if you gave the presents away, as tempting as this is. Keep them in bags and hand them out whenever they get there. If you possibly can, and I'm not sure I could, don't act hurt. If you can keep it a pleasant experience for them to come to your place then they would be more careful to come, even though that is a thoughtless attitude on their part. You did well, they did not.

Answer by Bmat at 8:19 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• If younger children are involved, it isn't their fault that they didn't get to come. I think I would keep them for a while and when they come over, give them to them. I recently had this same problem in my family, not with my children but with my nephew. We actually had presents from two years ago, and we finally gave those presents to his children this past Saturday. He was a bit embarrassed when he realized how long it had been since we had seen his children. It actually turned out to be helpful with his attitude, I think.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 8:29 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• I agree with Reneek3. Find out the facts first. Even my own didn't come, the weather was a factor in their decision. Even though it cleared up later. The ice melted they might have been able to come. It is a good thing they didn't because it froze over again. Even though I was disappointed I was glad to have them safe. My older kids have not spent Christmas with me since they were very young. They were always at their grandparents and with their dad. their dad has been dead for 15 years but they still spend that time with their grandparents. I guess someday it ill be my turn.

debj49

Answer by debj49 at 11:54 AM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Eh. No matter what the situation, I wouldn't worry.

Just send the presents to them so they don't sit at your house.
    madamekatekate

Answer by madamekatekate at 4:29 PM on Dec. 30, 2008