How can I get my 8 year old to eat veggies?

My little boy is really picky. He won't eat any green veggies. I have tried everything. Took away his cartoons, took away his snacks, even made him go to bed early, he still wouldn't budge. I feel bad, but I want him to be healthy and eat his veggies. Suggestions Please!

cbell77

Asked by cbell77 at 8:25 PM on Dec. 29, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• For starters: eat them yourself. And for your partner to eat them as well. Also to have nothing but good items available to snack on. If you are fixing dinner set a plate of carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, and cut up peppers out with dip. Tell him if he is hungry he can munch on those. Make salsa with some veggies thrown in and take out the chips. Also puree some veggies and put them into things like spaghetti sauce, grilled cheese, his favorite foods. He doesn't have to know that what is in stuff he is eating and likes is also healthy. You can even make brownies and put in spinach and other hidden veggies. It is easy, deceptive, and you don't have to argue. Also in the mean time keep the plates of fresh veggies out in the open to munch on and role model how much you and your spouse just LOVE eating your vegetables. Oh...Jessica Seinfeld's book is also great.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 9:18 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• get baby food and mix it in with other foods you cook. It is just as healthy but he will never know it is there.
    vbongard

Answer by vbongard at 8:32 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• The rule in my house is that you have to try everything that is on your plate. You have to try it everytime it is put there. If you don't like it, you don't have to eat any but the one bite (a real bite, not a nibble) If they don't, they don't leave the table. Eventually they have learned to like alot of things that they didn't like before.
    Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 8:49 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Raw veggies with dip
    Spinach dip with cheese for chips
    puree veggies and add them into things
    broccoli with cheese on top (or better yet, do loaded baked potatoes - broccoli included!)
    soups
    mixtures that have several veggies in them that they can't "eat around" to get the good stuff (i.e. the meat)
    Anonymous

• Get him a vitamin lol then u can feel good, also use a food processor to mix veggies in and he will never know. it was hard for me not to say to ds"haha u just ate peas". The eat everything on your plate works for some kids-not judging-but some people link it to eating disorders later because it trains kids to eat what they don't even want just because it is in front of them. I don't know if I agree but it is an interesting theory.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 8:57 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Just offer that to him only and if he doesn't want to eat it, he doesn't get to eat until he does. ;)
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 10:20 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• If it's only green veggies, I wouldn't be too worried. We also used to do things like shred zucchini into spaghetti sauce! The kids didn't even notice it was there. Also, I just responded to someone else with a picky eater. In our house, you eat what is served. But, every year you get to pick three things (after you try them) you can "opt out" of eating. If it's not on the list, you must eat it.
    WD40

Answer by WD40 at 10:41 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• The rule in our house is if it's something that they have never eaten before they have to try it before they can say they don't like it. My kids eat every vegetable under the sun but my friend has the most picky eaters in the world. I was watching her son one night and gave him a choice of vegetables, he picked carrots but when he sat down to eat I noticed he wasn't eating them so I asked him what was wrong. He said he only liked cold carrots so I told him fine by the time you eat the rest of your dinner the carrots will be cold, he ate them. Next time you want him to eat a green veggie give him something to dip them in like ranch dressing or cheese.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 5:53 PM on Dec. 30, 2008

• Jerry Seinfeld's wife wrote a cook book with recipes that "hide" veggies in them. I can't remember the name of it, but I really want to try some of them. Maybe it'll help you.
    jms124

Answer by jms124 at 10:02 PM on Dec. 30, 2008