HELP! Group B Strep + Stripping membranes

I tested positive with my first baby, and they gave me an IV of antibiotics and everything went fine. Does this mean I should no longer carry the bacteria because I've been treated? I'm 38 weeks along with baby number 2, and the test results got lost somewhere so I don't know if I'm positive or not. I've been reading (maybe I shouldn't read up because I always end up worrying) that GBS can be more easily passed to the baby and make me more prone to infection after a "stripping membranes" procedure. I just had that procedure done today, and I'm starting to get a little freaked out... does anyone have any input/experience with this? Please help....

xxprittykittyxx

Asked by xxprittykittyxx at 8:30 PM on Dec. 29, 2008 in Pregnancy

• how do the results get lost? Don't the Dr.'s have them? I had it with my first, not my second. But somebody has the results and if they can't find them - which sounds asburd, they would probably treat you just incase.
    momof2boys423

Answer by momof2boys423 at 8:33 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I had it with my second and no matter what they were going to treat me with my third b/c you have an increased risk for carrying it again once you test positive for it . You need to be treated each time. I called other Ob's, pediatricians, etc. b/c I really did not want to be induced but all said the risk was too great to not treat with antibiotics ahead of time. Now if your membranes were stripped....does that mean your water was broken or just tried to thin them out in hopes they will break soon? Once your water breaks you have 24 hours to deliver. You need a good 2 hours after a dose of antibiotics for the baby to be protected from Group B strep. good luck!!
    campeno

Answer by campeno at 9:05 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• stripping of membranes is supposed to bring on labor, the doctor inserts a finger into the cervix and sweeps at the tissues connecting to the bag of waters... they did not break my water and my water hasnt broken.
    xxprittykittyxx

Answer by xxprittykittyxx at 9:08 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I was positive with my first 2 and negitive with my 3rd and havent gotten the results with this one yet but dont worry they will take care of you if you have it!!
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 9:12 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Strep B is a bacteria that everyone has to come degree. If you have it with one, doesn't mean that you won't or will have it with another. That is why they test every pregnancy. I didn't have it with my first, but I will still have the test at 36 weeks (or whenever it is) to see if I am positive this time around.
    reflect1light

Answer by reflect1light at 9:24 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• They will probably treat you with antibiotics since they aren't sure and you had it before. The stripping of membranes will not harm your baby, but you should be aware it can have a higher chance of causing the bag of waters to rupture prior to labor. This means you will be at an increased risk of passing infection from the moment the bag of water breaks until birth, or until full course of antibiotics. Be certain to inform your provider if you think you are leaking amniotic fluid
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 1:21 AM on Dec. 30, 2008