what can do about my daughter making friends?

my daughter is only five going on six in jan. and it seems everyday she is coming home complaining about one of the girls in her class does not want to be her friend for some silly reason. oneday they are friends and the next day they are not. I and her father tell her all the time that everyone is not going too want to be her friend. And she just be around the people that would like to be friends. I do not know what else more I can do to make her feel better. Because now she is talking about not wanting to go to school. I do not want my child to dislike school because she can not make friends with a certain group of girls. I also feel she is too young to be going threw this problem, if anyone has any better suggestions for my problem please let me know I would greatly appreciated!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:46 PM on Dec. 29, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Have you spoken to her teacher to ask how it is going w/other kids? start there mama, cuz she sees alot more than the kids think she does.
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 8:52 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• I am not saying this is the case with your DD, but with mine she is extremely bossy. When she complains about not making any friends I ask her if she likes to be bossed around, when she says no, I tell her that others don't like it either, and that if she wants to make friends she needs to consider the feelings of others.

Jazak

Answer by Jazak at 8:53 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• sorry wrong button, fter talking to teacher if that doesn't help, try to get her involved w/something she likes:ballet ,dancing,singingetc...so she sees other places to make friends. U have no idea what happens in her day, there could be lots of reasons why she is not making friends, could be her fault, or not-kids can be horrid to each other. good luck to her and u!
    Bearsjen

Answer by Bearsjen at 8:54 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• My daughter is in Kindergarten and just turned 6 and everyday she comes home and says someone was mean to her and so and so wouldnt play with her that day and whatnot and it really botherd me at first but they just are to young to have established perminate friends at this age i think cause everyday she is friends with someone else and the next its somebody new!! Also my little one tends to get her feelings hurt really easy and lets the other girls push her around so we are working on that!!
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 8:59 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• The only advice that I would say is that if this little girl comes up to your daughter again that she should say "If you can't be nice, then I can not play with you". I would then tell my daughter to be firm with her words & then walk away. This shows the little girl that your daughter is a leader & has confidence. Children are smart & the first thing that they play off of is "how far can I go with you?" Maybe this will get the little girl at your daughters school to be herself & stop pretending. If your daughter still has problems I would then let the teacher know so that they are aware of the situation & can watch their interactions more closely. Best Wishes to you & your daughter!

onespecialmom

Answer by onespecialmom at 9:00 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• She is living in the real world with all sorts of people. Even though they are little, they still have problems getting along all the time. I would talk to her teacher and get some feedback. See what the teacher has noticed and ask her for advice. She is in a position to assure that everyone gets along even if they aren't all friends. She may be able to pay special attention to your daughter and/or the other girls and help them work this out. That's probably all she needs at this point. It's only the beginning I'm afraid. Human nature.
    happi-ladi

Answer by happi-ladi at 9:04 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• My dd had that problem and I talked to the teacher to see how we could help her. She changed the seating arrangement and I think it did wonders for her.
    lisa_ann_p

Answer by lisa_ann_p at 12:17 AM on Jan. 4, 2009