How many times should cats eat?

we got new kittens, so a total of five cats.. The kittens,four of them, eat all the time, and the older cat doesnot eat as much. the kittens are eatting contstantly, and we went though two bags of cat food already...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:14 AM on Sep. 2, 2011 in Pets

• I feed my adult cats twice a day. Right now I have two feral mamas each with a litter of four PLUS a dump off baby (about a week younger than the second litter of kittens) and I keep kitten chow available to the mama's continuously. I also feed the babies a formula mixed with softened kitten chow (mamas help eat this as well) three times a day.

The feral mamas were terribly thin when I captured them, but within less than a week are back up to a normal weight and getting some shine back to their fur and eyes. I also fed Nutrical the first week.

If you've ever nursed a baby, you know how draining it can be. Think how you would feel with a litter! If the babies are eating that much it's because mama cat isn't producing much milk ... if nothing else, add some plain yogurt (few tablespoons) and one egg yolk (raw) each day to mama's diet. She'll produce more milk if you supplement her food with what she needs.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 4:55 PM on Sep. 2, 2011

• I have always let them eat as much as they want. When my cat was a kitten, the amount i was SUPPOSED to give him was not enough, he was always starving. So, i let him eat how ever much he wanted. Now that he is an adult, it seems as if he barely eats at all. But...he is healthy...not fat or skinny.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 7:17 AM on Sep. 2, 2011

• I feed mine twice a day.

Answer by older at 7:54 AM on Sep. 2, 2011

• My cats have access to dry food 24/7 and I feed them a big spoonful of canned food 3 times a day..kittens eat more than adult cats..& my male cat eats more than my female cat does, but he's a little neurotic..I think he uses food to fill up some emotional void, lol.. he was taken from his mother when he was too young...neither of my cats are overweight though.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:28 AM on Sep. 2, 2011

• I have an outdoor cat (I'm in the country), she gets fed once a day, I always make sure there is plenty of water for her, but she hunts for the rest of her food.
    kustomkrochet

Answer by kustomkrochet at 9:00 AM on Sep. 2, 2011

• I leave dry food down all the time. First thing in the morning, I put 1/2 cup in his bowl. It takes him most of the day to eat all of it. Before we go to bed, I put another small handfull in his bowl to get him through the night. He is 3.5 months old and at a good weight.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 9:49 AM on Sep. 2, 2011

• I have always just left dry food out for my cats, so they eat as often as they want. Neither has ever been overweight.
    andrea96

Answer by andrea96 at 12:37 PM on Sep. 2, 2011

• I have 3 cats an adult male and female and a male kitten approx 3 months old. I leave dry food down 24/7 we go thru 3 pounds about every 10 days

RobinChristine

Answer by RobinChristine at 1:07 AM on Sep. 3, 2011