Private adoption

We just found out last night that we will be doing a private adoption with a birth mother and was wondering if any one else has gone though this process. I am just wondering what to expect as far as the process attorney and legal fees? We will be contacting attorney's today and I am a ball of stress looking for answers.

pawfam

Asked by pawfam at 8:53 AM on Jul. 15, 2008 in Adoption

• my sister adopted her twins through an open adoption. The legals fees some 22 yrs ago I think were $6K
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:32 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

• my cosin adop[ed twins
    butterfly123456

Answer by butterfly123456 at 9:48 AM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I am sending you a message.
    Kellyjude1

Answer by Kellyjude1 at 7:31 PM on Jul. 15, 2008

• I adopted my twins through a private adoption about 5.5 years ago. It cost me about $4000, but the attorney we used was our long-time family attorney, so I think I did it for slightly less than most. He represented me and my husband and both the birth parents since we were all in agreement to this. Later the judge decided that he wanted separate attorneys, so the court appointed one to represent the babies, one for the birthmother and one for the birthfather. The court paid for those attorneys.
    romeece

Answer by romeece at 10:54 PM on Jul. 16, 2008

• my boyfriend and i are going thru the process of placing our baby up for adoption, i'm not sure of the fees and such, but if the birthparents are out of state, then how it is done here, you will have to retain a lawyer for yourself and also retain and pay for the attorney for the birthparents as well, so that they know their rights... good luck
    mfialdrdickhaus

Answer by mfialdrdickhaus at 9:41 PM on Jul. 17, 2008

• You need a Good lawyer that knows the adoption process. (Believe me, it could come back to haunt you later.) Make sure everything is done properly and in order. Make sure both sides their rights are terminated. It all depends on the lawyers fees. There are several different kinds of court and processing fees. The lawyer will be able to give you a breakdown on prices. Good luck!
    heavenschild99

Answer by heavenschild99 at 1:02 AM on Aug. 6, 2008

• I am actually going through the same thing right now. My twin sister is pregnant and is giving the baby to my husband and I. I contacted an attorney and the fees and everything should be LESS than $3,000. My husband says he contacted Health and Welfare, and it could be even less than that, too. Let me know what happens with yours! Our baby will be due around Valentine's Day 2010.
    *** me ***
    (dgoerrich@yahoo.com)
    dtopsy

Answer by dtopsy at 9:47 PM on Aug. 23, 2009