dinner time

Does anybody actually sit down as a family for dinner?? My hubby doesn't come home from work until 8-830 and it just doesn't happen in my house. It bothers me. I asked my friends and they say that they never really do family sitdowns either. Am I just old fashioned? I really miss dinner time with the 4 of us :(

tessntylersmom

Asked by tessntylersmom at 9:05 PM on Dec. 29, 2008 in General Parenting

• We sit down at the table for every meal, even if it's just me and my 12 month old. I make my hubbies plate and keep it in the oven. When he gets home at around 7:30, we go back and sit at the table with him. Family is very important to us and I think that is odd for a family of our age (19 and 20) Plus,God also plays a big role in our meal time. We talk about our day and struggles we faced, ect.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 9:24 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• We do ! even if dh isn't here .
    Meshell7

Answer by Meshell7 at 9:06 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• We don't and tonight was a prime example. I made a nice dinner and figured we could all sit at the dining room table. My husband doesn't exactly like that so he turned the TV on and hushed the kids all through dinner because he couldn't hear the TV and pretty much ignored any conversation we were having. Pretty typical. There wasn't much to talk about anyway since we spend every freaking moment of the day together. I already know everything that everyone is doing all the time.
    Personally, I couldn't wait for dinner to be over so I could clean up and go lie down (which I didn't get to do because I had to clean my 2yo's room.)
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 9:18 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• not usually i try to get everyone togethter sometimes but with two teens a baby and a hubby that works ten hours a day its hard.
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 9:19 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Yes we do all 6 of us. The only nights we don't are when we have sandwiches or pizza. So maybe once per week we do not eat at the dining room table. Even when we eat in the living room we are all together.
    Magpie75

Answer by Magpie75 at 9:45 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• Growing up we had dinner together every single night. This was the time we talked politics, religion, current events, sex, things going on in general - it was the main family catch up time. You have to admit: you have a captive audience around the dinner table. So I plan to continue this same time honored tradition. We do now and it is not always easy. I worked full time and so does my husband. So by the time we got home it was difficult to quickly pull together a meal and not feel rushed when we just quite frankly very tired. Now, temporarily, I do not work. So it does make the part of preparing meals a bit more easier. But yes, meals are going to be very central in our family life. Especially as my son grows older, his schedule becomes more packed and he has his own things to do....dinner will not be an option to miss.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 10:10 PM on Dec. 29, 2008

• My husband doesn't get home until 6:30 at the earliest. It just doesn't work for the boys. We all sit down at the table and eat around 5:30 then my husband warms his plate whenever he gets home. (depending on the time he's home, he will either play with them until bed then eat...or eat then play. they go to bed at 8)

We make up for it on the weekends.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:18 AM on Dec. 30, 2008